Hi there, this is Jaleh, the CEO of Mutiny.
For decades traditional B2B companies have relied on sales to personalize their message for each customer, helping them communicate with empathy and clarity. As customer interactions have shifted online due to SaaS and changing consumer behavior, we have failed to adapt our online experiences. Virtually every B2B website displays the same generic content to all people. Today, over 99% of B2B customers bounce when they visit a website because they didn’t immediately find what they were looking for.
Mutiny is creating a new product category to help companies personalize their online buying experience for each customer. Our starting point is helping SaaS companies personalize their website. Our ambition is to ultimately help every company in the world personalize their entire buying experience from website to ads to emails.
Mutiny was born out of our own experience. I led marketing at Gusto from ~10 to 500 employees. As we scaled our customers, I learned that while our product was great for many different businesses, the same marketing messages did not resonate across the board. Personalization helped our users understand why we were great for them, but doing so required many engineers, data scientists and analysts.
Nikhil (my co-founder) and I started Mutiny to help every company that wants to provide a better user experience and grow faster, but lacks the technical expertise to do so. We were featured by TechCrunch Disrupt
as one of the most innovative companies in 2019 and were ranked #1 product of the day by Product Hunt
. We are backed by some of the best seed investors in the valley including Y Combinator, growth and engineering leaders from Slack, Google, Facebook, Square, Yelp and Salesforce, and Cowboy Ventures and Uncork Capital (backers of Postmates, Intercom, Sendgrid and Eventbrite).
Before I tell you about the job, I want you to understand our culture.
Nikhil and I started Mutiny by first codifying what type of company and culture we wanted to build. These values define how we approach our work every single day:
- Work should feel like play
- Faster always wins
- Stir the post, regularly
- Do the right thing when no one’s watching
- All hands on deck
We also believe in balanced teams, which is why we have maintained a 50% male to female ratio in our investors and are committed to maintaining diversity of gender, ethnicity and thinking in our team as we scale.
But enough about us, let’s talk about you and what you’d do at Mutiny.
The role, in a nutshell:
We are looking for an exceptional product designer to join our team. Audience-based optimization is a new category and therefore most customers don’t intuitively know how to get started. Your challenge is to guide a customer who currently has a generic web experience to quickly understand their web audience and launch personalized experiences that outperform generic content. As the first designer, you will have tremendous autonomy and execution leadership. This role is particularly suited for a senior product designer who likes to think holistically about brands and user experience across marketing and product.
What you’ll do at Mutiny:
- Work closely with beta customers to understand their workflows and all the friction points in their journey of implementing personalization -- from creating their first personalized experience to surfacing insights that can help them iterate and create new personalized experiences.
- Design and continuously optimize the user experience through in-person and online user testing.
- Effectively integrate data into the user experience to inform customer actions in the product.
- Own the most important metric in the business: time it takes a new user to launch successful personalized experiences.
- While your core responsibility is product design, you would also oversee marketing design including our website and other marketing assets.
- Influence the entire Mutiny brand. As you can tell by the name, we plan to stand out with a bold and inspiring brand. You will partner closely with the CEO to define and materialize that brand in our product and website experience.
What we are looking for:
- 5+ years of product design experience, ideally at companies that have successfully created a new product category.
- Proven ability to design intuitive product experiences from scratch and iterate with qualitative and quantitative user testing.
- Be the voice for extraordinary design and champion design thinking efforts across all areas of the company
- Genuine empathy for growth marketers and a passion for helping companies grow.
- An exceptionally high performance bar for oneself and everyone on the team. Unafraid to communicate what’s working and what needs to change.
- Someone who is energized by ambiguity and can create structure in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- A kind human who wants to build an extraordinary product, culture and brand.