The Microwave Electronics and Digital Automation Engineer will work a member of a small multidisciplinary technical team to design, analyze, fabricate, integrate, and test components and systems for both ground based development and flight application of microwave electrothermal propulsion systems. The job will require an aptitude and desire for learning, understanding of system-level tradeoffs, and the ability to work well in a tight-knit team environment. This role will directly impact the development of a new service based model of in space transportation.
- Design and develop automation and control systems for ground based test and engineering systems related to microwave electrothermal propulsion systems. Subject automation systems will control a wide range of flight and ground systems including dc power supplies, microwave amplifiers, microwave networks, microwave system components, propellant fluid handling systems, vacuum systems and data acquisition systems
- Research, analyze, and modify COTS components and systems to determine feasibility for application to low cost, high performance, high reliability space applications
- Plan and implement developmental and qualification test procedures to validate the performance, reliability, and longevity of systems, subsystems, and components of microwave electrothermal propulsion
- Minimum of a B.S. degree in an electrical engineering or physics plus 3 to 4 years of practical experience in hands on engineering; or an M.S. degree with a hands on research element and two years of post degree experience; or a PhD in with a practical, hands-on dissertation topic related to the duties of this opportunity or the equivalent training and experience.
- Experience with microwave components and test equipment (signal generators, oscillators, amplifiers, power sensors, waveguide components)
- Demonstrated laboratory and fabrication skills
- Experience with LabVIEW and other test equipment automation methods and with the use and programming of embedded devices
- Hands-on experience in electronic circuit and control system design
- Experience with Python, C++, or another object-oriented programming language
- Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum
- Demonstrated experience in agile development processes, rapid decision making, and short turn-around test, analysis, design, fabrication, and integration cycles
- Awareness of design constraints or direct experience with space hardware
- Experience with modeling and simulation of microwave components (ANSYS HFSS or similar) and knowledge of microwave networks, components and theory
- Experience with space propulsion or electric propulsion systems is preferred
- Experience with microwave electrothermal system is desired but not required.