Momentus has an immediate opening for an Embedded Systems Hardware Engineer. Momentus’ mission is to provide connecting flights in space. To do this we are building versatile space tugs propelled by our Microwave Electrothermal Thrusters (MET’s) to boost our clients’ payloads to their desired orbit. We seek an Embedded Systems Hardware Engineer to play an integral role in the design of the electrical systems that allow our space tugs to function reliably.
The Embedded Systems Hardware Engineer will participate in both flight spacecraft system development and research projects in collaboration with science and engineering staff. The ideal candidate has 4 plus years of industry experience and an Electrical Engineering BS, MS, or PhD.
· Interfacing multiple digital ICs to create a complete embedded system
· Working with wireless subsystems used for communication
· Microcontroller/processor selection, testing, and programming
· Competency in C programming a must
· ARM Cortex M and/or Cortex R based microprocessors
· Familiar with RTOS based C programming
· Selecting and sizing DDR and NAND flash memory. Tradeoffs between different memory technologies
· I2C, SPI, PMBUS, and/or CAN communication protocols
· Signal Integrity and EMI conscious layout for low and highspeed circuits (DDR, NAND flash, USB, etc.)
· Schematic capture and PCB layout tools (Altium or Allegro preferred)
· SPICE simulation software (orCAD PSPICE, LTSPICE, or similar)
· Simulation tools for signal integrity (Hyperlynx or similar)
· Lab equipment: oscilloscopes, multimeters, power supplies, logic analyzers, soldering
· Hands on lab experience with testing, debug, and bring up of digital systems
· Familiar with EMI/EMC testing and debug
· Supporting cross-functional teams including digital design, product engineering, test engineering, and production engineering
· Creating clear and thorough documentation of design and product development activities to ensure high quality designs and to support dissemination of important design information to cross-functional teams
Nice to Have:
· Embedded Linux and writing drivers for new hardware
· Understanding of space and radiation effects on electronics and mitigation
· Testing and qualifying COTS components for space applications
· Working with and negotiating with electronics vendors
Education & Work Experience
· Minimum: BS plus 4 years industry experience,
· Preferred: BS, MS, or PhD in Electrical Engineering plus 8 years industry experience
· Experience preparing and leading major engineering design reviews throughout the development lifecycle with an outward facing role to the customer.
· Experience in various phases of the aerospace electronics component development cycle.
Key features of the job include
· High level of empowerment and autonomy to build, test and fly hardware in under a year from concept to flight based on proprietary technology
· Stock options in a highly valued venture funded startup
· Membership in a dynamic team of gifted and intellectually diverse professionals
· Excellent benefits and bonus structures
Salary and option compensation is commensurate with experience and training and competitive with Series A level Silicon Valley space startups but with exceptionally good benefits. This is a full-time position in Santa Clara California. This position requires access to export-controlled commodities, technical data, technology, software, and services. U.S. citizenship, U.S. legal permanent resident status, protected person status under 8 U.S.C. Â§ 1324b(a)(3), or U.S. Government export authorization is required.