Momentus provides in-space transportation services. To do this, we are building and operating orbit transfer vehicles which carry spacecraft from the orbit where they are initially dropped-off to their final orbit where they need to be to perform their mission.
In order to deliver our customers from one orbit to another as quickly and efficiently as possible, we perform extensive optimizations of our orbital trajectories.
Momentus is seeking talented orbit analysts, trajectory optimization engineers, GNC engineers, and mission designers interested in joining our mission design team to help us chart our path through space.
• Enhance, create, maintain, and operate software codes used to perform orbital trajectory optimizations
• Research advanced algorithms for use in improving the level of optimization of orbital trajectories
• Train other team members in the use of basic orbit simulation and design tools
• Support the writing of proposals by providing technical content and review as well as trajectory visualizations and descriptions
• Work with vehicle design teams to incorporate trajectory optimization into design trade studies
• Meet occasionally with customers to understand customer needs, and incorporate those needs into mission designs
• Perform mission design tasks as needed including: constellation design, impact probability analysis, and other related analyses
Desired Skills and Experience:
• BS in Aerospace Engineering, Physics, or the equivalent and 4-8 years experience
• Alternatively: BS and MS in Aerospace Engineering, Physics, or the equivalent and 2-6 years experience
• PhD preferred
• Mission design and orbit simulation experience using commercial software (STK, FreeFlyer, etc.) or custom software
• Experience with optimal control theory and implementation
• Experience implementing orbital propagation algorithms and simulations in software
• Aptitude and experience with a variety of programming languages (preferred one of more of: Python, Matlab, Fortran, and C++)
• Preferred: Experience with orbital rendezvous trajectory design
Salary and option compensation is commensurate with experience and training. This is a full time position in Santa Clara, California. This position requires access to export-controlled commodities, technical data, technology, software, and services. U.S. citizenship, U.S. legal permanent resident status, or protected person status under 8 U.S.C. Â§ 1324b(a)(3) is required.