Modern Electron has an immediate opening for a Nanofabrication Engineer. A highly qualified Nanofabrication Engineer is needed to work on the product R&D team, and will be responsible for innovation and production of nano-scale devices using the company’s cutting edge technology and processes. Particular focus will be on designing fabrication process flows for 3D devices, process development, short-loop iterations, and collaborating with the simulation & device test team to prototype and test in silico designs. The successful candidate will work with a team of physicists, chemists, material scientists, electrical engineers, and technicians. This position will report to the CTO.
Modern Electron is a start-up company dedicated to generating cheap, modular, and reliable electricity for all. Expensive mechanical engines and turbines based on 19th-century technology still generate the majority of the power used worldwide. We seek to replace them with paper thin heat-to-electricity generators. >$20MM venture capital is committed to our vision. We have enormous potential for learning, impact, and growth in a small and collaborative team setting. We value our ability to move fast to outpace larger companies and achieve what they cannot.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES:
- Cleanroom-based nano/microfabrication and/or MEMS fabrication experience
- Expertise with optical lithography, stepper lithography, and mask/lithography process design
- Expertise in inorganic thin film deposition (evaporation, sputtering, chemical vapor deposition, atomic layer deposition, and high temperature oxidation)
- Expertise in wet and dry chemical etching (reactive ion etching, ICP)
- Experience with metrology techniques such as scanning electron microscopy, profilometry, and ellipsometry
- Experience with silicon-based micro-electro-mechanical-systems (MEMS) or nano-electro-mechanical-systems (NEMS) engineering
- Experience with packaging/back-end/interconnect techniques (e.g. wafer bonding, dicing, TSVs, etc.)
- Prefer experience with electronic device characterization
M.S. in Materials Science, Physics, Chemistry, Electrical Engineering or related field. Demonstrated experience in nanoscale fabrication and analysis techniques.
At least 8 years (Ph.D. + work) experience in semiconductor fabrication and analysis techniques.
We are an equal opportunity employer.