Modern Electron has an immediate opening for a materials engineer, physical chemist, surface scientist, chemical engineer, mechanical engineer, or electrical engineer. A highly qualified engineer is needed to work on the product R&D team, and will be responsible for innovation and production of vacuum electronic devices using the company’s groundbreaking technology and processes. A successful candidate will work on the implementation of existing thermionic cathode technology into new geometries. You will work with a team of physicists, chemists, material scientists, mechanical engineers, electrical engineers, and technicians. This position will report to our Director of Engineering.
Modern Electron is a start-up company dedicated to generating cheap, modular, and reliable electricity for all. Expensive mechanical engines and turbines based on 19th-century technology still generate the majority of the power used worldwide. We seek to replace them with paper thin heat-to-electricity generators. Venture capital funding is committed to our vision. We’re at the early stage of commercialization, with enormous potential for learning, impact, and growth in a small and collaborative team setting. We value our ability to move fast to outpace larger companies and achieve what they cannot.
REQUIRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES:
- Experience with thermionic cathodes, e.g. tungsten cathodes, oxide-coated cathodes, barium dispenser cathodes, lanthanum or cerium hexaboride cathodes
- Experience with design, assembly, and troubleshooting with cathode geometries, cathode guard rings, sintering processes, welding, etc
- Experience and knowledge with the surface chemistry, materials preparation, and physics of low work function and/or cathode materials (e.g. Ba, Cs, LaB6, CeB6, impregnated tungsten, scandate, multi-alkali, etc.) in both film and vapor form (e.g. sodium vapor lamps)
ADDITIONAL PREFERRED SKILLS:
- Extensive expertise and experience with design, purchase, assembly, and integration of high vacuum and ultra-high vacuum equipment, and improvements/maintenance of these systems is a huge plus!
- Experience with commercial vacuum electronic devices, e.g. field emission devices, klystrons, gyrotrons, traveling wave tubes, thermionic cathodes, and/or photocathodes
B.S. in Physics, Chemistry, Materials Science, Physical Chemistry, Chemical Engineer, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or a related field. Demonstrated experience with thermionic cathode development and vacuum electronics. At least 5 years of prior industrial experience preferred.
We are an equal opportunity employer