Modern Electron has an immediate opening for a Director of MEMS Engineering. A highly qualified and versatile Director of MEMS Engineering is needed to work on the product R&D team, and will be responsible for leading a small team in design, testing, and optimization of the company’s groundbreaking energy generation technology. Particular focus will be on development and optimization of reliable and cutting edge nano/microfabrication/MEMS fabrication processes, electronic device testing and measurement, and bringing the company’s first product from prototype to market. You will lead a multidisciplinary team of materials scientists, engineers, chemists, and physicists, and work closely with mechanical engineers, electrical engineers, and technicians. You will report directly to the CTO.
Modern Electron is a start-up company dedicated to generating cheap, modular, and reliable electricity. Expensive mechanical engines and turbines based on 19th-century technology still generate the majority of the power used worldwide. We seek to replace them with paper thin heat-to-electricity generators. >$20MM venture capital is committed to our vision. We have enormous potential for learning, impact, and growth in a small and collaborative team setting.
- Direct R&D and prototyping of the company’s first products
- Interface closely with other engineering groups to ensure integration of your team’s deliverables with the product as a whole
- Communicate engineering progress and issues to the CTO
- Build a team; recruit and hire top engineers and scientists
- Manage direct reports including:
- Development and communication of job descriptions and responsibilities
- Mentoring, coaching, training, and performance evaluation
- Maintaining a positive workplace atmosphere for all employees
- As needed, contribute hands-on to designing and characterizing semiconductor devices, development of fabrication processes, and device testing
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES:
- Engineering team management experience with a track record of problem-solving and success
- Astute people management abilities
- Impeccable organizational and project management skills
- Bringing a semiconductor or (vacuum) microelectronic device from prototype to market
- Subject matter expertise in electrical engineering, materials science, vacuum science, physical/surface chemistry, atomic and molecular physics, vacuum electronics, MEMS, and/or nano/microfabrication
- For instance, the ideal candidate will have hands-on experience with:
- Design, fabrication, and electronic measurements of semiconductor devices or vacuum electronic devices
- vacuum science (e.g. kinetic theory of gases), surface chemistry, and design, purchase, assembly, integration, and operation of high vacuum or ultra-high vacuum equipment
- microelectronic device characterization and measurement
- working with semiconductor foundries to commercialize novel microelectronics
Demonstrated industrial experience leading a team to develop novel microelectronics or vacuum electronics, interfacing with neighboring engineering groups, and bringing products from prototype to market. At least 15 years of post-bachelor experience with microelectronics design, fabrication, and measurement, vacuum science, people management, and project management preferred.
We are an equal opportunity employer