Modern Electron has an immediate opening for an R&D Technician. An experienced and highly qualified technician is needed to work with the members of the product R&D team, and will be responsible for maintaining laboratory equipment and facilities. You will also be responsible for fabricating and assembling prototypes of our electricity generators using the company’s groundbreaking technology and processes.
Modern Electron is a start-up company dedicated to generating cheap, modular, and reliable electricity for all. Expensive mechanical engines and turbines based on 19th-century technology still generate the majority of the power used worldwide. We seek to replace them with paper thin heat-to-electricity generators. Venture capital funding is committed to our vision. We’re at the early stage of commercialization, with enormous potential for learning, impact, and growth in a small and collaborative team setting. We value our ability to move fast to outpace larger companies and achieve what they cannot.
- Maintain laboratory equipment and facilities.
- Machine and prepare components for assembly.
- Assemble test vehicles and prototypes.
- Build and modify test setups.
- Execute and document results of tests assigned by engineers.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES:
- Experience with maintaining electro-mechanical, ultra-high vacuum, and furnace heating equipment.
- Experience machining and fabricating metallic and/or ceramic components. Examples are turning, milling, lapping, and polishing operations.
- Ability to independently analyze, evaluate, and troubleshoot equipment problems.
- Hands-on experience maintaining and using tools, calibration and test equipment.
- Experience fabricating and assembling parts. Examples are welding, brazing, and soldering operations.
- Experience with executing tests, collecting data, and documenting the results in a report.
- Impeccable organization, prioritization, time-management, & planning skills and adherence to safety protocols
- Good written/oral communication; active listening skills and interpersonal skills; ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability and enthusiasm to work as part of a highly collaborative, dynamic, and diverse team.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with a flexible work schedule.
- A.A. or B.S. in Electronics, Engineering, or Science.
- 5+ years of experience in a technician role supporting test activities.
- 3+ years of experience building prototypes of electro-mechanical hardware products for industrial and commercial applications.
- 3+ years experience machining and/or fabricating metallic and/or ceramic components.
- 3+ years experience building and modifying test setups.
- 1+ years of experience with laboratory automation: LabView; Matlab; Raspberry Pi/Arduino; Python; or similar
We are an equal opportunity employer
Other Titles: Manufacturing Technician, Hardware Technician, Senior Technician, Lead Technician