Modern Electron has an immediate opening for an R&D Technician. A highly qualified R&D Technician is needed to work on the product R&D team, and will be responsible for innovation and production of electricity generators using the company’s groundbreaking technology and processes. Particular focus will be on testing, optimizing, and validating prototypes and fabrication processes. You will work with a team of mechanical engineers, physicists, chemists, material scientists, electrical engineers, and technicians.
Modern Electron is a start-up company dedicated to generating cheap, modular, and reliable electricity for all. Expensive mechanical engines and turbines based on 19th-century technology still generate the majority of the power used worldwide. We seek to replace them with paper thin heat-to-electricity generators. Venture capital funding is committed to our vision. We’re at the early stage of commercialization, with enormous potential for learning, impact, and growth in a small and collaborative team setting. We value our ability to move fast to outpace larger companies and achieve what they cannot.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES:
- Experience with lab equipment (power supplies, multimeter, etc.), high vacuum equipment (e.g. turbo pumps, pressure gauges, and CF flanges), and hands-on debugging and troubleshooting skills
- Experience prototyping electronics (soldering, circuit design and assembly, etc.) and laboratory automation with LabView, Matlab, Raspberry Pi/Arduino, Python, or similar
- Familiarity with supporting hardware and mechanical engineers
- Expertise in machining & fabrication is a plus (e.g. CAD/drafting, lathe, CNC milling, drill press, welding, etc.)
- Impeccable organization, prioritization, time-management, & planning skills and adherence to safety protocols
- Good written/oral communication; active listening skills and interpersonal skills; ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Microsoft Office: Excel; Word; PowerPoint; and other software applications
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with a flexible work schedule
A.A. or B.S. in Electronics, Engineering, or Science; and 10+ years of experience in R&D environment or commensurate training/experience.
We are an equal opportunity employer