Modern Electron has an immediate opening for an R&D Technician. An experienced and highly qualified technician is needed to work with the members of the product R&D team, and will be responsible for operating and maintaining electro-mechanical, high vacuum and furnace heating equipment and facilities. You will also be responsible for assembling prototypes of our electricity generators using the company’s groundbreaking technology and processes.
Modern Electron is a start-up company dedicated to generating cheap, modular, and reliable electricity for all. Expensive mechanical engines and turbines based on 19th-century technology still generate the majority of the power used worldwide. We seek to replace them with paper thin heat-to-electricity generators. >$20MM venture capital is committed to our vision. We have enormous potential for learning, impact, and growth in a small and collaborative team setting. We value our ability to move fast to outpace larger companies and achieve what they cannot.
- Operate and maintain electro-mechanical, high-vacuum and furnace heating equipment and facilities.
- Assemble test vehicles and prototypes.
- Build and modify test setups.
- Execute and document results of tests assigned by engineers.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES:
- Experience with maintaining electro-mechanical, high-vacuum, and furnace heating equipment.
- Ability to independently analyze, evaluate, and troubleshoot equipment problems.
- Experience assembling prototypes of electro-mechanical hardware products.
- Hands-on experience maintaining and using tools, calibration and test equipment.
- Hands-on experience building and modifying test setups.
- Experience with executing tests, collecting data, and documenting the results in a report.
- Impeccable organization, prioritization, time-management, & planning skills and adherence to safety protocols.
- Good written/oral communication; active listening skills and interpersonal skills; ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability and enthusiasm to work as part of a highly collaborative, dynamic, and diverse team.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with a flexible work schedule.
- A.A. or B.S. in Electronics, Engineering, or Science.
- 3+ years of experience with operating and maintaining electro-mechanical, high vacuum, and furnace heating equipment.
- 3+ years of experience in a technician role building and modifying test setups and supporting test activities.
- 3+ years of experience assembling prototypes of electro-mechanical hardware products for industrial and commercial applications.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, and Powerpoint
- 3+ years experience machining and/or fabricating metallic and/or ceramic components.
- 1+ years of experience with laboratory automation: LabView; Matlab; Raspberry Pi/Arduino; Python; or similar.
We are an equal opportunity employer
Other Titles: Manufacturing Technician, Hardware Technician, Senior Technician, Lead Technician, Test Technician, Laboratory Technician