Principal Cloud Platform Engineer
San Francisco, CA
The Technology team provides the essential digital infrastructure that underpins our client’s global portfolio of products and platforms. They have open and collaborative teams in place working to build efficient global platforms and scaling digital products to reach hundreds of millions of learners around the world while delivering elastic, secure, data-driven services.
The Technology team also drives and coordinates how they work with technology partners to establish our client as a destination for innovation in education. The aim is to ensure that their customers have access to more products and learning solutions in more regions while continually offering a high-quality user experience.
About the Job
This role will be responsible for delivering the next-generation technology platform to the global development community. Our client is making the transformation to a digital education company with a portfolio of cloud-native applications and services. In order to do this, they need to have a platform suitable for these new-age applications. You will be hired as one of the best and brightest in your field who can challenge our team to think about solutions differently and have an inherent appreciation of how user experience, in particular, developer experience of our products will be a critical factor in uptake and adoption.
As a Principal Platform Engineer, you will be seen as an expert in your field and will contribute to the design and build of the Technology Services, these include but are not limited to:
- Platform as a Service
- Infrastructure as a Service
- Delivery as a Service
You will form part of a global team that will drive best practice in the PaaS arena, we work in a lean agile fashion with fortnightly sprints. You will be expected to collaborate with, and support other agile product development teams and operational teams whose primary responsibilities will be to support education services in production and pre-production environments.
The scope could include technical lead responsibilities, regional and functional influence, collaboration on global initiatives. An expectation of 24/7 365-day on-call rotation. Some travel may be required (infrequent), you are expected to work from the office at least 3-days per week with some option to work remotely if your home is a suitable and safe working environment.
We’re looking for passionate engineers with a hunger to learn and adapt to new technology quickly. We demand people who are naturally curious, can self-start and share learnings and outcomes effectively with a distributed team.
Things We Expect You to Know:
- Extensive operations experience in either Linux or Windows operating systems
- In-depth, hands-on experience of at least two major clouds (AWS, OpenStack, Azure etc…)
- Expert command of config management principles and an ability to code your desired state
- A deep understanding of distributed system design and dependency management
- A strong grasp of monitoring tools, approach, and implementation
- Able to show examples of previous work exploiting containerized services
- Solid working experience of continuous integration practices & tools (Jenkins, Travis CI etc…)
- How to write rigorous test cases for your code and use automated test frameworks for them
- An established history of working in agile teams
- That DevOps is more than a job title or a marketing fad!
- How to collaborate with a globally distributed team of engineers using tools like chat
Our Tools of the Trade
We work at the moment with the following tools, we understand everyone will do a bit of learning on the job, but you will need to be able to meaningfully contribute to a selection of these tools:
Must have considerable experience with at least 3 of the items below:
Must have solid experience with at least 1 of the languages below:
Nice to have:
- Testing and quality engineering
- CI/CD components and process design
- System metrics gathering for improvements
- Experience of working with or contributing directly to Open Source projects
- Understanding and experience of leading/managing technology products
- Experience of working with failure based testing, for example, Simian Army
- Delivering web-scale products to a global market at high release velocity
Please present resumes to: