Metropolis is a stealth technology start-up based in Los Angeles with an office in New York City.
The Company is led by an experienced executive team with complementary backgrounds, including a successful LA-based tech founder, a technical leader from eHarmony and DogVacay and senior professionals from major global financial services firms and technology start-ups.
If you have a passion for the future of mobility, including last mile transport, autonomous vehicles, vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) aircraft and their surrounding ecosystem, the Company provides the opportunity to join at an early stage. Upon emerging from stealth, the Company will quickly become one of the sector’s highest profile companies. Along the way, you will also partner closely with some of the tech sector’s most influential and successful investors, building a portfolio of intersecting business verticals in technology, real estate and mobility services.
Position Overview and Responsibilities
This position will initially report to a co-founder who serves as the CFO and COO.
The company is seeking a Senior Controller to build out and manage a new corporate finance team within a fast-growing company. The professional will work closely with part-time contractors that are fulfilling the roles of controller and accounting, and a senior finance professional that has been advising the company. The individual will be expected to evaluate and build upon the current, rapidly evolving accounting structure of the company, and hire new employees in support roles as the company seeks to internalize its corporate finance function over the year.
This is an attractive opportunity to join a high-growth, fast-paced environment and make an immediate impact. The role calls for a combination of people skills, excellent attention to detail, and superb organizational skills. This role is based in Los Angeles, will receive significant exposure to the senior leadership of the company and is a good opportunity for an individual that is seeking to ultimately serve as the CFO or senior finance leader of a company.
The Controller is responsible for the company's full charge accounting processes, consolidated intercompany financial statements, project accounting, payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, budgeting, tax compliance, and various special analyses.
- Timely month-end close including P&L, balance sheet, and statement of cash flows with comparisons to plan
- Updates to company financial model for monthly actuals and reforecasting
- Interpretation and analysis of financial statements and presentation to management
- Management of annual budget process; continual improvement of reporting structure to allow for agile monthly reporting and reforecasting
- Development of, and accountability for, financial controls, including daily cash management, AP, payroll, capex, and procedures
- Management of workflows and technology integrations across all departments to optimally control cash, credit cards, travel and other discretionary expenditures
- Preparation of daily, weekly, and monthly KPIs
- Design of new metrics and preparation of reports to efficiently manage cashflow and ensure budget goals are exceeded
- Application of GAAP
- Management of all subsidiary and “arms-length” inter-company transactions and reporting
- Management of compliance, including: annual financial audit, taxes, insurance and statutory filing
Requirements and Qualifications
- Degree in accounting; CPA and/or MBA preferred; highly commensurate experience may be considered.
- At least 5 years progressive experience, especially with a fast growing, venture-backed startup.
- Proficiency with Quickbooks; experience with other accounting packages a plus.
- Master-level Excel skills and experience in all MS Office programs.
- Experience with Asana and Slack, or desire to quickly learn.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities in an organized and timely fashion with proven track record of delivering on projects and process improvements
- Excellent communication (both oral and written) and organizational skills
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP
- Comfortable with team-based work structure; ability to remain flexible to change within the work environment and scope of responsibility.
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and written, with a wide variety of people.
- Able to work well under pressure and deadlines.
- Demonstrates initiative, is conscientious, and provides complete follow-through on areas of responsibility.
- Desire to build and manage a growing team
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $125,000.00 to $150,000.00 /year