Mendel, headquartered in San Jose, CA is a venture backed artificial intelligence startup focused on reimagining the future of oncology research. We are working on groundbreaking technology leading to new ways of classification. By unlocking data from scanned and paper documents, our AI achieves results in minutes versus months, resulting in life saving treatments offered to more patients backed by our clinical review team.
Mendel’s culture fosters inclusivity and innovation. While reimagining the future of oncology research, we interact together in an open, constructive, and collaborative fashion. We aim to work hard, build fast, and learn quickly from our mistakes.
The VP of Engineering drives the overall software development vision and execution. You must balance competing priorities to ensure the delivery of new features, while also resolving defects and handling technical debt. You are a key member of our leadership team, developing and implementing strategies for the successful delivery of products that engage and satisfy users and business partners alike. Additionally, you are an energetic self-starter with a desire to learn new things and the inclination to find creative solutions. With a meaningful equity stake in the business, you will be ready to take ownership, doing what is needed to get the job done.
- Recruit, hire, develop, support, and organize software engineers across multiple disciplines, teams, and experience levels
Articulate and direct allocation of responsibilities and enforce fulfillment of delivery commitments
- Set and drive the "big picture" strategy while also providing detailed technical guidance to the team, enabling them to execute more effectively
- Manage the transformation and scaling of our platform, choosing optimal infrastructure as our business evolves – the business will be growing dramatically over the next year and the platform will need to keep pace
- Optimize the quality and resilience of our code and standardize best practices for development
- Step up as needed to fill gaps by rolling up your sleeves to code, QA, and otherwise be accountable for timely completion of milestones
- Demonstrated leadership in previous engineering and management roles that required you to ship high quality features fast and on time
- A keen awareness and adroitness in all aspects of the software development lifecycle, including architecture, development, testing, deployment, infrastructure, and devops
- Experience and comfort with a fast-changing start-up environment
- Development: PHP (Yii, Symfony, Laravel), Node.js, Angular JS, Python, jQuery
- CI/CD: Jenkins, Github, Jira, Selenium, PHPUnit
- Bootstrap and CSS
- AWS: Design & implementation; Load balancers; Cloud formation; SQS, etc.
- Agile software development methodology
- Solid communication skills, both written and oral; ready and able to collaborate effectively with remote multi-functional teams
Perks & Benefits
Team outings & annual company trip
Casual office dress code
Swag upon your arrival
Opportunity to travel