The News Director oversees KNKX’s news-gathering efforts, providing timely, high-quality news and feature coverage. This includes daily news and ongoing enterprise coverage. The News Director also acts as the executive producer for KNKX’s weekly news-feature program, Sound Effect, and supervises KNKX’s news reporters, hosts and producers. This position reports to the Director of Content and works closely with that individual to ensure effective communication and coordination among the senior management team. Also works closely with the Digital Content Manager and the Director of Music Content on cross platform content and programming.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Collaborates with the Director of Content to articulate an overall vision for the newsroom and is actively involved in long range planning.
- Assigns and directs daily coverage, and enterprise stories.
- Operates as the news department's chief editor and executive producer; edits copy and tape, gives approval before air, and effectively delegates duties as necessary.
- Supervises, evaluates, and provides clear and constructive feedback and reviews for news staff.
- Assists in planning and implementing digital strategies with KNKX's Director of Content, Digital Content Manager, and Director of Music Content.
- Assists and advises the Director of Content on newsroom budgetary matters.
- Maintains strong professional relationships with NPR, PRNDI, and other journalism organizations.
- Plays an active role in KNKX on-air fund drives (pitching and producing).
- Serves as a substitute, local on-air host for KNKX news programs.
- Works with production and traffic departments to write, edit, produce, and schedule news promos.
- Understands and supports the KNKX Mission Statement, the KNKX Principles and Values Statement, and KNKX's Long Range Plan.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to plan, organize and implement news coverage and work effectively within tight deadlines.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with coworkers.
- Must have the ability and commitment to exercise vigorous and sensitive managerial leadership.
- Knowledge of media/audience data analysis.
- Demonstrable leadership, managerial and organizational skills.
- Knowledge of journalistic ethics and standards. Specifically, the standards of NPR.
- Knowledge of the latest news trends and news audience research.
- Skill producing in-depth news, using thorough research and clear writing for online and broadcast, including the ability to voice scripts and serve as a news host.
- Ability to critically edit news stories.
- Ability to work under deadline, make the best of limited resources, attend remote events, and respond effectively to diverse and changing circumstances.
- Skills and ability to use (and adapt to new) basic news technology, including computers and digital recording and editing.
- Ability to run a studio board and host a live news program.
- Ability to record interviews and other news events.
- The individual must possess these skills and abilities or be able to explain and demonstrate that the individual can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- Minimum five years of experience as a News Director.
- Experience managing a newsroom in a mid-size or major market.
- Experience as a radio reporter.
- Experience using a newsroom content management system (Newsboss).
- Experience managing a union shop.
- Deep understanding of the public radio system.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
KNKX has offices in downtown Seattle, and in Tacoma, and is part of a vibrant and beautiful area that is rich in artistic, cultural, sports and outdoor activities. KNKX is an ambassador for jazz and blues, and a vital source of quality, noncommercial news, including NPR and regional coverage. KNKX is funded by a loyal community of listeners who raised over $7 million in 137 days in 2016 to save the station and transition it to an independent license. KNKX's signal covers Western Washington reaching 375,000 listeners weekly. In addition, KNKX and its 24-hour jazz stream, Jazz24, reach 350,000 listeners every month online.
KNKX is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.