The Director of Business Revenue & Sponsorship is responsible for achieving KUOW’s business revenue goals. He/She leads of a team of account representatives and support staff to deliver customized and off-the-shelf sponsorship opportunities to new and existing accounts (and/or their representative agencies or corporate foundations) across multiple media platforms including broadcast, digital (web/email), streaming, podcasts, social media, and events. As a member of the KUOW Senior Leadership team, he/she collaborates deeply with internal stakeholders to drive revenue growth on existing and emerging platforms in a manner consistent with the station’s mission and values.
To achieve success, he/she will take a strategic approach to new media; collaborate with KUOW’s Chief Content Officer and Chief Marketing Officer to analyze/synthesize research data and audience behaviors; assess potential matches for support of general and specific content offerings; design and implement of an overall market strategy including sales and collateral materials; effectively develop and manage KUOW’s sales team and our national rep firm: National Public Media
As the audience for KUOW’s content migrates from broadcast to digital platforms, a keen strategic focus on developing digital revenue will be critical to our continued success. The Director will drive the station’s strategy to maximize revenue through new, innovative products.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Direct the local, regional, national, and digital sales account executives responsible for radio, digital media products, events and special projects.
- Develop, communicate and execute the vision for the department in adherence to the financial assumptions of the KUOW Strategic Business Plan and in collaboration with the KUOW senior leadership team and other key stakeholders
- Develop and execute near term and long-range revenue strategy and planning, including an annual operating plan. Package media assets that prove attractive to new and existing clients. Assign, direct and monitor all appropriate tactics for new business generation.
- Execute the strategies necessary to stay on top of business clients’ changing needs, market forces, etc. toward a goal of minimizing threats and preempting competitor encroachment. The Director is expected to exhibit a highly competitive stance, to leverage KUOW’s dominance over in-market and national competitors.
- Provide daily management and oversight of the business support department; train, supervise and coach account executives; assign accounts, set goals, monitor inventory, direct price/inventory strategies toward the goal of maximizing revenue; develop sponsorship packages and maintain communication/collaboration with the KUOW Content and Marketing divisions in a continuous search for marketable products.
- Develop and maintain responsibility for the Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) of the department; develop and monitor revenue pipeline including specific tactics and account executive productivity quotas; hold team members accountable for productivity, output and bottom-line goals.
Specifically, the above entail:
- Providing professional development support, coaching and motivation toward the account representatives’ success in discovering prospect/client business objectives, mission, marketing & community relations activities, goals and priorities. Foster a high-energy, collaborative culture that motivates strong performance and team spirit.
- Implementing appropriate strategies to enhance productivity and drive new growth initiatives
- Having direct contact with clients where appropriate; assist account representatives in “deal closing” when necessary.
- Analyzing and synthesizing audience and market research along with KUOW activities on an ongoing basis to aid in proposals.
- Maintain compliance with FCC regulations regarding sponsorship agreements and credit wording; review/ approve client proposals and copy prepared by account representatives; negotiate with Programming and assist in resolution of copy challenges and/or contentious situations where a current or prospective client is in the news.
- Participate in strategic planning, revenue development and budget planning and preparation, marketing, community outreach and special event activities
- Lead a team comprised of account representatives and operational support staff
Additionally, this position will:
- Work with the Director of Development to cultivate high level opportunities with corporate major accounts and their foundations.
- Direct sales processes including forecasting, tracking and collaboration with other KUOW departments to achieve budget goals.
- Develop equitable processes for account distribution and implement practices to raise level of productivity.
- Direct marketing strategies to enhance presentations and provide pricing strategies for all segments.
- Develop close internal working relationships with the Chief Content Officer and other managers (e.g. the head of Community Engagement) in order to creatively position current and new programs and products effectively.
- Collaborate and assist with the rollout of new digital ad products to ensure that digital campaigns are executed in line with IAB standards
- For digital campaigns, ensure that sales team gathers usable digital assets, submits campaigns, monitors delivery and shares appropriate reporting
- Provide forecasts, annual plan development, budget and revenue goal tracking by product and platform; expense; and barter policies and practices
- Oversee traffic, inventory management, pricing strategies, measurement and reporting systems
- Be a primary contact to KUOW’s partner relationships within the media community (American Public Media, NPR, PRI, etc.) as they relate to collaboration and coordination of local and national media sponsorships
- Manage KUOW’s trade business in accordance with policy
- College degree in a related field such as Business, Marketing and/or Communications or equivalent experience
- Seven to 10 years’ experience managing media sales (radio/print/digital) with a demonstrated track record of strategic thinking, attaining aggressive goals and managing/growing a team of sales professionals.
- In-depth knowledge of advertising agencies and national sales
- Experience selling and executing digital campaigns. A working knowledge of key metrics (CTRs, impressions, open rates) and common workflows
- Demonstrated ability to value media assets and package in a compelling way
- Advanced understanding of and experience in utilizing traffic and inventory management systems, research tools, CRM applications e.g., Salesforce, Marketron, Nielsen, Scarborough
Familiarity with, appreciation of, experience in Public Media About KUOW
You can learn more about the values of KUOW here
The University of Washington and KUOW Puget Sound Public Radio are being assisted in this search by Livingston Associates. Inquiries are welcome with Livingston Associates. AA/EOE.