Blue Ridge Public Radio, based in Asheville, NC, continues its dynamic growth and is ready to hire its first Director of Content. BPR attracts a very large audience and earns the loyalty and trust of its listeners by building its services on a core of strong journalism and cultural coverage. The director reports to the CEO and will be responsible for the vision, strategic development and oversight of all content on our two broadcast channels: BPR Classic and BPR News, along with all current and future digital platforms. The director will develop a plan for audience service and growth, and will build effective strategies for the future in a cost-effective and sustainable way.
BPR is a highly successful community licensee that receives strong support from its listeners, donors, and area businesses and organizations. We’re based in the very popular and growing city of Asheville where local authenticity is held in the highest regard. It’s a city powered by its creative economy, which includes a vibrant arts community, a growing music industry, the center of the American crafts movement, a foodie and craft beer paradise, and some of the most awe inspiring mountains and rivers in the East.
The Director of Content oversees all content creation and distribution activities and initiatives across multiple platforms and formats in order to drive audience diversification, growth, engagement, retention, and support.
- Overall responsibility for all content acquisition, creation, scheduling, and distribution for multiple platforms and audiences.
- Creates and ensures a healthy ongoing content development process that enables creative ideas and inspires creative people.
- Responsible for editorial leadership, planning, presentation and supervision of all BPR original content.
- Manages the “stationality” of BPR and sets the standards for its presentation style and personality.
- Provides oversight of the BPR news department, as well as direct supervision of on-air and production staff.
- Creates and manages a collaboration framework with other media organizations in the Western North Carolina region to address the increase of news deserts in our area.
- In coordination with other BPR departments, develops and launches community engagement initiatives.
- Negotiates external content partnerships and works with the full BPR management team to find business models to support content production
- Works with the Development Department to build strong cases to secure funding from major donors and foundations.
- Responsible for professional and creative development of the content team.
- Collaborates with members of the BPR leadership team to drive key performance metrics.
Requirements for this position include a Bachelor’s degree in journalism or a related field, and at least five years of relevant experience in public or commercial media, substantial experience in digital production, and at least three years of program management and staff supervision experience. The Director of Content should have excellent knowledge of journalistic principles and ethics, as well as excellent communication skills and the ability to work under strict and challenging deadlines.
Specific skills and competencies:
- Demonstrated experience developing high quality content on broadcast and digital platforms.
- Successful experience in all aspects of program management including goal setting, budgeting, project reporting, audio and editorial quality, content development, collaboration and team leadership.
- Experience supervising public radio programming and production.
- Show production and/or audio journalism experience.
- Solid organizational and project management skills.
- Knowledge of audience development on digital platforms.
- Project management skills for editorial schedules and deadlines.
- Demonstrated experience launching new broadcast and digital content services.
- Understanding of key audience broadcast and digital analytics.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Experience developing and managing a complex departmental budget.