The Music Director is responsible for coordinating all music content for KNKX, including on-air and online services, supervising the Music Staff, hosting on-air shifts and scheduling talent.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Direct full and part-time staff of jazz and blues hosts. Supervisory activities include: scheduling, performance evaluation, talent recruitment, training and conflict resolution.
- Oversees Jazz24, and the Jazz24 Manager.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with music labels, artists, and artist representatives.
- Maintains strong relationships with local jazz organizations.
- Responsible for coordinating all recorded and live music. Reviews old and new releases for airplay that are consistent with the KNKX format.
- Responsible for adding and deleting songs, scheduling music, and analyzing the database on an on-going basis.
- Conceives and executes special on-air music events that connect and engage the audience.
- Serves as a fill-in host for jazz, and blues shifts.
- Station contact for listeners with comments, concerns, and questions about the music played.
- Active role in KNKX fund drives, including pitching on-air.
- Assists in Major Donor events and other development activities.
- Emcee at station events.
- Must split time between Seattle and Tacoma studio locations as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Must have the ability to coach, mentor and lead a staff.
- In depth knowledge of jazz and blues.
- Understanding of automation and music systems, specifically Audio Vault and Selector.
- Ability to work in a creative team environment.
- Must be able to work under pressure, meet deadlines, and accept criticism.
- Understanding of music programming principles, audience research, operational methods and the structure and significant issues of public broadcasting.
- Must have good radio hosting ability, including the ability to operate an audio console.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in Broadcasting, Music, or related field.
- Prefer five years programming experience.