Lingokids’ mission is to break down language barriers and provide equal opportunities for kids all around the world. With over 11M families using the product and more than 150k new ones every single week, we’re looking for a well-rounded backend engineer to help us on this mission and scale our backend platform that will be joining our HQ located in sunny Spain.
We’re reinventing early childhood education through an online language learning service for kids. With fresh content - games, books, videos, interactive episodes, etc - every week, we are helping more than 9M families and their children around the world learn English in a fun and effective way. Our dream is to have a positive impact on 100M families and we’re working hard to make it a reality. Our talented team of product designers, software engineers, and content producers tweak and improve our product daily, while incorporating feedback from our customers.
As a Backend Software Engineer, you will be part of the teams that are responsible for designing, prototyping, implementing, robust backend systems that support our company’s business and will help millions of kids learn English. Our job is to provide a platform that is flexible, maintainable and can adapt to the challenges that our company will face as we grow.
Here’s some of the areas you will get to work on:
- Automating and extending our AWS-based infrastructure (we use Terraform) and ensuring that our colleagues can be productive using our solutions
- Keeping an eye on ways to improve our stack, our processes and our tools
- Our CI/CD pipelines and the way we constantly build/test/deploy our software
- An analytics pipeline that allows us to process thousands of events and make them accessible to various areas of our company
Our backend stack can vary from Ruby on Rails, Python, shell scripts, Java/Scala and in general we’re more focused on the results than the tools, so that stack can constantly change.
- Agree with us that communication is a critical part of our job as Software Engineers
- Have good experience with at least one programming language, but ideally have experience with more than one (or willing to learn them)
- Have soft skills that include, empathy, inquisitiveness, and open mindedness; we are not big on dogma or cargo-culting here.
- Look forward to working as part of a diverse, multicultural, and multidisciplinary team.
- Have experience with topics around Infrastructure Automation, Security, CI/CD
- Have experience with some cloud providers
Perks & Benefits
We are proud of our culture and work hard to make sure every team member loves what they do. Check some of the perks and benefits of working in the EU and being a Lingoer.
- Stock-options: Joining the Lingokids journey means you own part of the company.
- Free books: We buy you any books that can help you be even better at your work.
- Family Leave: Enjoy up to 4 months of paid family leave, regardless of when you joined.
- Unlimited Snacks & Drinks: Our kitchen is always full, from beer to daily fresh fruits.
- Retreats & Social Gatherings: Our team celebrates monthly get-togethers and an annual retreat.
- Visa Sponsorship: If needed, we will fully-sponsor a EU visa to come work with us.
- Language Lessons: We offer language lessons in Spanish and English.
- Gear: Get hooked up with a Macbook (or PC) to do your best work.
- Fridays Lunch & Learn: Weekly all-hands gathering to lunch and learn from each other.
- Holidays: 23 days of paid leave, and 14 days of bank holidays a year!
- Flexible Hours: Busy parent, or night owl? We get it. 9 to 5 is not for all of us either.
- International Office: Multicultural team with 10+ nationalities and day-to-day work in English.
- Sunny Spain: Over 300 days of sunshine per year with blue-skies.
If any of this rings a bell let’s chat!