Second Life™ is the longest-running and most popular virtual world, with tens of thousands of passionate daily users. As a dedicated senior graphics engineer, you will help bring user-generated content to life in vivid detail with our distributed team of engineers. We’ve defined what virtual worlds can be, but we need you to help upgrade our graphics technology platform and make them look even more awesome.
- Develop new rendering techniques and implement them in the open source Second Life™ viewer
- Support the Second Life™ graphics engine (OpenGL) on Windows and OS X
- Help define and execute the migration to our next generation rendering engine.
- Collaborate with open-source contributors to improve the Second Life™ viewer
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- OpenGL programming (both pre and post deprecation flavors)
- Familiarity with Metal, D3D12, or Vulkan API programming
- Develop graphics shaders with GLSL
- Diagnosing rendering errors with tools like nSight or Pix
- Performance analysis (CPU and GPU)
- Good written communication skills
Extra Bonus Skills:
- AR/VR Headset development
- GPU Compute programming
- Codec expertise (specifically, JPEG2K and PNG)
What would be awesome:
- Familiarity with and enthusiasm for Second Life is a huge plus.
- A sense of humor and a never-ending curiosity helps to appreciate the really creative things our Residents do within our virtual world, especially when they do them in ways we didn’t think were possible.
Working on Second Life is not like any job you've ever had … get in touch and hear more (ask
us about the Love Machine!)
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent academic training and experience.
- Experience with working in a highly distributed team
Physical Demands & Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use the computer and communicate with coworkers in an office environment. The employee frequently is required to stand or sit to complete work and may occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
Linden Lab seeks to maintain a diverse and welcoming workplace; therefore candidates from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees in this job. They are not intended to be construed, as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.