Have you ever wanted to work in the video game industry? This could be your opportunity. Located in Chicago’s River North area, Level Ex’s fast-growing game studio is transforming the way surgeons hone their skills by practicing high-risk surgeries with the latest medical devices in our industry-leading mobile, AR, and VR titles.
Our games are built using state-of-the-art graphics and physics tech and deploy an arsenal of well-designed game mechanics to capture the thrill and challenge of performing real surgery. These games increase dramatically in difficulty as the player progresses, and are carefully crafted with professional level design, compulsion loops, flow channels, and deliberate gameplay balance. Backed by a mature art pipeline and latest-gen engine tech, we’re able to recreate surgery with spectacular realism.
Our engine has earned the trust of the country’s leading physicians; plus, we’ve custom-built GPU-based real-time fluids, tissue shading, and soft-body systems that enable a wide range of new game mechanics in mobile and VR. Our team unites award-winning game designers, developers, and artists with industry-leading surgeons, all passionate about using game design approaches to keep doctors across the world performing at the top of their game.
We’re looking for a smart, technically diverse Senior Software Engineer - Core Tech to join our team.
What You’ll Be Doing with Us
- Design, implement, and support internal tools, and improve infrastructure to support game and client teams
- Lead the development and distribution of core technologies supporting multiple teams and projects
- Develop operational infrastructure to support iOS and Android devices
- Provide continuous development and maintenance of core systems
- Provide support for our QA team, generate performance reports, and identify any errors within the pipeline
- Work closely with other engineers, designers, artists, and production teams to identify technical risks and implement solutions
- Research and implement the use of different technologies, SDKs, and architectures
- Write clean, professional, and maintainable code
- Proactively problem-solve stability and performance issues for both iOS and Android devices
- Integrate and configure third-party back end solutions, and SDKs
Who We Want To Meet
- 5+ years of software development experience with at least two shipped titles
- Deep iOS or Android development experience
- Solid experience working in Unity3D or Unreal Engine 4
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience working with back end tools, ideally for game development
- Excellent problem solving and debugging skills
- Proficiency with source control tools (Perforce, Git, or SVN)
Bonus Points Awarded For
- Experience building and maintaining continuous integration tools, such as Jenkins or TeamCity
- Experience working with third-party back end solutions (Playfab, Gamesparks, etc.)
- Experience providing support and creating additional features for live mobile games
How We Make You Happy
- Multiple health insurance plans with 100% company-paid premiums
- 401(k) with company-paid match
- Dental and vision insurance
- Pre-tax flex spending and commuter accounts
- Paid vacation, sick days and holidays
- River North loft workspace convenient to public transportation, and plenty of nearby food options
- Unlimited cold brew and gourmet coffee, kombucha, Bevi sparkling water, and craft beer
- Full kitchen and food options including breakfast, and both healthy and comfort snacks
- Team after-hours events, like Board Game Night
For the fastest consideration please send us your resume along with a cover letter detailing why you’re a fit for this important role. We look forward to hearing from you and exploring the possibilities.
Level Ex is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
No Agencies or recruiters, please.
Candidates must be authorized to work and accept new employment in the U.S.
We are currently unable to accept resumes from foreign countries without a sponsored visa.