Located in Chicago’s River North area, Level Ex’s fast-growing game studio is transforming the way physicians hone and refine their skills in our industry-leading mobile, AR, and VR titles.
Our games are designed to engage and entertain medical professionals, with gameplay challenges that leverage their hard-won skills and domain expertise in creative and enjoyable ways. Our target audience, design goals, and business model are unique in the industry, and you are guaranteed to tread new territory as a Game Designer at Level Ex. We are aiming to map the latest approaches in free to play mobile game design to engage and retain doctors across multiple medical specialties and procedures; you will need to combine the professional experience you have gained at previous positions with an openness to learning completely new fields in order to do this job well.
This position is for our core team, applying concepts taken from highly successful mobile games to create gameplay that credibly references medical specialties. Translating medical concepts and procedures into entertaining game modes, cases, and engagement loops is a challenging task; if you have had only worked on grad school endeavors or personal projects, this is not the job for you. Talent for collaboration is key, as you’ll work alongside a team of medical researchers augmented by physician consultants who are at the top of their fields. Your colleagues in the design department are creative, driven, and highly diverse, committed to exploring new design concepts with socially relevant ends. If you have two or more years of experience at a professional studio and a successful title under your belt, we’d like to hear from you.
With hundreds of thousands of downloads, Level Ex has earned the trust of the country’s leading physicians. Join our award-winning team of designers, developers, and artists in keeping doctors across the world performing at the top of their game.
We’re now looking for a creative Game Designer to join our team.
What You’ll Be Doing with Us
- Working closely with senior game designers on all aspects of gameplay, including high-level goals, balance, scoring, controls, and other areas
- Applying popular mobile game mechanics to medically credible new designs
- Working in the Unity engine to create levels and define the player's gameplay experience
- Detailing case designs and requirements with supporting documents and reference materials
- Working with others identifying game events and data to be tracked in the analytics system for future gameplay optimization
- Coordinating design goals with production, product management, artists, engineers, and others
- Working with doctors and medical researchers on technical specifications, plus finding ways to incorporate their feedback as part of compelling and exciting gameplay mechanics
Who We Want To Meet
- 2+ years of hands-on game design experience working at a professional game studio(s)
- Experience in mobile development
- 1+ commercially released game on mobile, PC, or console platforms
- In-engine Unity3D and/or Unreal Engine 4 experience
- Experience creating, revising and maintaining game design documentation
- Proven ability to document and communicate design ideas, and make smart tradeoffs
- Experience communicating and championing the larger vision of games across numerous types of stakeholders
Bonus Points For
- Strong in-engine Unity3D and/or Unreal Engine 4 experience
- Understanding of the psychology of game design, and experience applying those principles in new kinds of design and game mechanics
- Experience optimizing and re-balancing a live game post-launch based on user feedback and data
- Economy design experience
- Knowledge of at least one industry-standard analytics tool (Leanplum, DeltaDNA, Unity Analytics, etc.)
- C# experience
- Familiarity with medical and anatomy concepts
How We Make You Happy
- Multiple health insurance plans with 100% company-paid premiums
- 401(k) with company-paid match
- Dental and vision insurance
- Pre-tax flex spending and commuter accounts
- Paid vacation, sick days and holidays
- River North loft workspace convenient to public transportation, and plenty of nearby food options
- Unlimited cold brew and gourmet coffee, kombucha, Bevi sparkling water, and craft beer
- Full kitchen and food options including breakfast, and both healthy and comfort snacks
- Team after-hours events, like Board Game Night
For the fastest consideration please send us your resume along with a cover letter detailing why you’re a fit for this important role. We look forward to hearing from you and exploring the possibilities.
Level Ex is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
No agencies or recruiters, please.
Candidates must be authorized to work and accept new employment in the U.S.
We are currently unable to accept resumes from foreign countries without a sponsored visa.