Located in Chicago’s River North area, Level Ex’s fast-growing game studio is transforming the way surgeons hone their skills by practicing high-risk surgeries with the latest medical devices in our industry-leading mobile, AR, and VR titles.
Our games are built using state-of-the-art graphics and physics tech and deploy an arsenal of well-designed game mechanics to capture the thrill and challenge of performing real surgery. These games increase dramatically in difficulty as the player progresses, and are carefully crafted with professional level design, compulsion loops, flow channels, and deliberate gameplay balance. Backed by a mature art pipeline and latest-gen engine tech, we’re able to recreate surgery with spectacular realism.
Our engine has earned the trust of the country’s leading physicians; plus, we’ve custom-built GPU-based real-time fluids, tissue shading, and soft-body systems that enable a wide range of new game mechanics in mobile and VR. Our team unites award-winning game designers, developers, and artists with industry-leading surgeons, all passionate about using game design approaches to keep doctors across the world performing at the top of their game.
We’re looking for a smart, technically diverse Senior Software Engineer to join our team.
What You’ll Be Doing with Us
- Create and maintain the core architecture of gameplay, rendering, and backend systems
- Work closely with other engineers, designers, artists, and producers to identify technical risks and implement solutions
- Research and use different technologies, SDKs, and architectures
- Collaborate closely with our game design, art, production, QA, medical research, and marketing teams on various project requirements, timelines, build reviews, and testing
- Write clean, professional, and maintainable code within our existing games
- Provide mentorship and guidance to other engineers through code reviews and leading by example
- Proactively problem-solve stability and performance issues for iOS and Android devices
- Participate in the game design process and optimize those designs for iOS and Android devices
Who We Want To Meet
- 5+ years of game development experience, with at least two shipped titles
- iOS or Android development experience in at least one released game
- Solid experience working in Unity3D or Unreal Engine 4
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience across multiple aspects of game development, such as character control, physics, graphics, game logic, asset loading, scoring, analytics, etc.
- Excellent problem solving and debugging skills
- Proficiency in algorithms, design patterns, and data structure design
- Fluency in C#
- Proficiency with source control tools (i.e. Perforce)
Bonus Points For
- Experience with continuous integration tools, such as Jenkins or TeamCity
- Experience working with backend tools for game development
- Experience in AR or VR development
- 3D graphics experience
- Excellent 3D math skills
- Strong interest in science, anatomy, and physiology
How We Make You Happy
- Multiple health insurance plans with 100% company-paid premiums
- 401(k) with company-paid match
- Dental and vision insurance
- Pre-tax flex spending and commuter accounts
- Paid vacation, sick days and holidays
- River North loft workspace convenient to public transportation, and plenty of nearby food options
- Unlimited cold brew and gourmet coffee, kombucha, Bevi sparkling water, and craft beer
- Full kitchen and food options including breakfast, and both healthy and comfort snacks
- Team after-hours events, like Board Game Night
For the fastest consideration please send us your resume along with a cover letter detailing why you’re a fit for this important role. We look forward to hearing from you and exploring the possibilities.
Level Ex is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
No Agencies or recruiters, please.
Candidates must be authorized to work and accept new employment in the U.S.
We are currently unable to accept resumes from foreign countries without a sponsored visa.