Level Ex is a fast-growing game studio that creates video games for doctors.
We attract top Artists, Engineers, and Designers from prominent gaming franchises, like Mortal Kombat
, League of Legends
, Call of Duty
, Walking Dead
, and Star Wars
. Our caliber of talent keeps us at the forefront of the industry: GDC ranked our Game Design talk #2 of 194 for sponsored sessions in 2019, and we earned 2nd place at SIGGRAPH Real-Time Live! 2019
, sharing the stage with Epic, Unity, Digital Domain, and others.
In 2019, Level Ex partnered with Brainlab. Brainlab’s technology powers treatments in radiosurgery and radiotherapy, as well as numerous surgical fields including neurosurgery, orthopedic, ENT, CMF, spine, and trauma. Together we’re pushing the visual boundaries of anatomy and the medical world.
As part of our growth, we’re now looking for a talented, deeply experienced Senior 3D Character Artist.
This role requires creating high and low poly character models for pushing the boundaries of our games platform. You need to be well-versed in a variety of art pipelines, as well as an aptitude for exploring cutting-edge techniques.
We require years of focused character art development experience, along with mentoring others in best practices and sharing optimal workflows for a variety of situations.
You must have a strong understanding of anatomy, sculpting skills, and high-resolution textures experience so we can, together, continue transforming the medical video game world.
What You’ll Be Doing with Us
- Working closely with our Art Director to push the quality bar of our characters and anatomy
- Creating high-quality, deeply realistic, 3D assets for our games and technical demos
- Modeling, sculpting, and texturing highly-realistic faces and characters
- Creating and documenting character pipelines and procedures
- Mentoring other 3D Artists on best practices and workflows
- Working with the Product Director, Producers, UX, Medical Team, and other team members to achieve a cohesive style
- Establishing and growing a new genre in the video game industry
Who We Want To Interview
- 5+ years of character art experience working in a game development environment
- Real experience working in AAA games
- High-quality texturing skills, mapping, and normal map extraction techniques
- Experience with Unity 3D or equivalent game engine
- Excellent, demonstrable experience with Maya, Zbrush, Substance Painter, and Xgen
- Deep understanding of high-poly modeling and digital sculpting
- Portfolio demonstrating an understanding of anatomy, high-quality facial sculpting techniques, and texturing ability
- Excellent cross-functional communication skills, both verbal and written, along with leadership skills
- Ability to manage time appropriately and meet agreed-upon deadlines
- Interest in learning new art techniques and working from medical references
- Ability to mentor and grow Junior Artists
Bonus Points Award For
- Basic Rigging knowledge
- Advanced experience working in Unity
- Experience with the iOS and Android platforms
- Experience with facial scanning capture
- Experience working in Jira
How We Make You Happy
- Multiple health insurance plans with 100% company-paid premiums
- 401(k) with generous company-paid match
- 4 weeks of PTO
- Dental and vision insurance
- Pre-tax flex spending and commuter accounts
- Full-time remote until we eventually return to our convenient downtown Loop location
- Unlimited cold brew and gourmet coffee, kombucha, Bevi sparkling water, and craft beer
- Full kitchen and food options including breakfast, and both healthy and comfort snacks
- Team after-hours events, like Board Game Night
Please send us your resume *including* a link to your online portfolio (don't forget the password, if needed). To learn more about Level Ex and meet some of our incredible team click on this link - Why Join Level Ex
Level Ex is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
No Agencies or Recruiters, please.
Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job.