Great location. Great coworkers. Lifesaving apps.
As a game developer, you know the impact games can have. Imagine taking that to a new level—Level Ex—by creating games for medical professionals to hone their skills and provide better patient care. Using our cutting-edge mobile, AR, and VR titles, doctors practice high-risk procedures with the latest medical devices and experience the thrill and challenge of performing actual surgery.
Located in Chicago’s desirable River North neighborhood, Level Ex’s fast-growing game studio recreates medical scenarios that replicate the complexities of the human body: custom-built GPU-based fluids, tissues, and soft-body systems that look and react like the real deal. In addition to state-of-the-art graphics, supported by the latest generation technology, we employ a broad range of game mechanics and physics tech—collaborating with acclaimed surgeons to produce the best games for doctors. Games increase dramatically in difficulty as players progress, and feature compulsion loops, flow channels, and deliberate gameplay balance.
With hundreds of thousands of downloads, Level Ex has earned the trust of the country’s leading physicians. Join our award-winning team of designers, developers, and artists in keeping doctors across the world performing at the top of their game.
We’re looking for an experienced, creative Senior Game Designer to join our team.
What You’ll Be Doing with Us
- Defining and managing all aspects of gameplay: high-level goals, balance, scoring, controls, and other areas
- Detailing case designs and requirements with supporting documents and reference materials
- Taking charge of scripting gameplay that defines the overall gameplay experience
- Working with our lead product manager identifying game events and data to be tracked in the analytics system for future gameplay optimization
- Coordinating design goals with production, product management, artists, and engineers
- Working with doctors and medical researchers on technical specifications, plus finding ways to incorporate their feedback as part of compelling and exciting gameplay mechanics
Who We Want To Meet
- 6+ years of hands-on game design experience, including senior/lead design roles on mobile and free-to-play/freemium games with an audience of 1M+ players
- Shipped two or more games on mobile, PC, or console platforms
- Deep understanding of the psychology of game design, and experience applying those principles in new kinds of design and game mechanics
- Working knowledge of at least one industry-standard analytics tool (Leanplum, DeltaDNA, Unity Analytics, etc.)
- Unity or UE4 in-engine experience
- Experience optimizing and re-balancing a live game product post-launch based on user feedback and data
- Experience creating, revising and maintaining game design documentation
- Proven ability to document and communicate design ideas, and make smart tradeoffs
- Experience communicating and championing the larger vision of games across numerous types of stakeholders
Bonus Points For
- Experience doing technical and or simulation-based game design
- Unity or UE4 in-engine experience
- Economy design experience
- C# experience
- Familiarity with medical and anatomy concepts
How We Make You Happy
- Real work-life balance in game development
- Competitive salaries in a reasonable housing market
- Health insurance options with 100% company-paid premiums
- 401(k) with a generous company-paid match program
- Paid vacation, sick days, and holidays
- Dental insurance and vision service benefits
- Talented co-workers from places like EA, Activision, LucasArts, Telltale, Disney, Google, Zynga, and others
- Convenient River North loft workspace near public transportation
- Medical pretax flex spending account and commuter benefits
- Unlimited cold brew coffee, gourmet coffee, kombucha, Bevi sparkling water, and craft beer
- Free breakfast options, along with both healthy and comfort food snacks
- Team after-hours events, like board game night
- Relocation assistance
For the fastest consideration please send us your resume along with a cover letter detailing why you’re a fit for this role using the form below. We look forward to hearing from you and exploring the possibilities.
No Agencies/Recruiters, please
Candidates must be authorized to work and accept new employment in the U.S.
We are currently unable to accept resumes from foreign countries without a sponsored visa.