LeConte Recruiting Firm is currently seeking a Thermal Mechanical Design Engineer for a manufacturing client in Washington.
The company has an immediate opening for a Thermal Mechanical Design Engineer to support product engineering development programs. The Engineer’s goal is to achieve the function and performance of thermal and electro-mechanical subsystems of our thermionic power generation products.
In this role, you will apply principles of engineering and science to achieve product designs that meet all required performance, cost, and schedule specifications. You will perform conceptual design, thermal and mechanical analysis; prepare design sketches and 2D and 3D drawings and models; select raw materials; and develop component/subsystem specifications.
- Perform engineering calculations and analyses to model and predict component/subsystem performance, including mechanical stress analysis, thermal and heat transfer analysis, steady-state and transient analysis, mechanical joint design, statistical tolerance stack analysis, etc.
- Perform first order hand calculations of the analysis tasks prior to conducting FEA analysis as necessary
- Perform tolerance analysis as required to ensure intended assembly performance
- Utilize laboratory and field test data to correlate and validate analytical models
- Interface closely with the multidisciplinary experimental and computational teams to iterate on designs and validate models
- Create fabrication drawings for component/sub-system and other mechanical assemblies
- Construct and conduct parametric trade-off studies and communicate results to the R&D and Engineering teams
- Play a role in the evaluation of next-generation designs
ESSENTIAL SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES:
- Understanding of heat transfer (conduction, convection, and radiation) and mechanics of materials
- Hands-on experience using CAD tools (SolidWorks preferred) in the creation of complex mechanical models, fabrication drawings and assembly drawings
- Demonstrated hands-on experience with thermal CFD and FEA using analysis tools such as Solidworks and ANSYS
- Understanding of manufacturing processes used to produce mechanical and electromechanical hardware products
- Hands-on experience with Engineering Document Management software
- Excellent problem solving and communication skills
- Impeccable written and verbal communication
- Ability and enthusiasm to work as part of a highly collaborative, dynamic, and diverse team
Bottom Line Requirements:
1. Master’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Physics, or related.
2. 5+ years of mechanical design engineering experience in an industrial or commercial environment.
3. 3+ years of design and analysis of thermal systems.
4. Experience utilizing laboratory and field test data to correlate and validate analytical models preferred.
5. Experience with performing thermal & mechanical modeling of braze assembly components preferred.