DESCRIPTION OF SERVICES
The candidate is to serve as the subject matter expert in all aspects of the evaluation and management of musculoskeletal injuries, injury prevention, and performance enhancement of Tactical Operators. The candidate is responsible to support the attainment and sustainment of peak human performance through the strengthening, evaluation and prevention of uninjured Operators, as well as the aggressive treatment and rehabilitation of injured Operators to facilitate a rapid return to duty. Collaborates with unit leadership and medical staff to ensure the highest level of Operator and unit physical readiness through injury prevention, physical fitness and educational human performance optimization strategies within program parameters.
DESCRIPTION OF EDUCATION REQUIRED
The candidate must have...
- Master’s Degree or higher in physical therapy from an accredited college or university.
- Valid state physical therapy license with board certification through the American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties (ABPTS) as either an Orthopedic (OCS) or Sports Clinical Specialist (SCS).
DESCRIPTION OF EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
The candidate shall have...
- Three (3) years of experience working with elite athletes within the military Special Operations Forces (SOF) community, National Collegiate Athletic Association, or professional sports.
- Demonstrated history of performing manual therapy, trigger point dry needling, Graston technique soft tissue mobilization and functional tapping.
- Demonstrated history of hiking over rough terrain, function in austere environments, and able to lift and manipulate loads and plates up to 25 kilograms.
DESCRIPTION OF REQUIRED CERTIFICATIONS
The candidate shall...
- Have certification as a Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS) through the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA) or the UK Strength and Conditioning Association (UKSCA).
- Have a current certification in basic Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) to include Automated External Defibrillator (AED) training.
DESCRIPTION OF TASKS
The candidate shall...
- Provide examinations, evaluations, diagnosis/assessment, treatment, evidence based intervention and medical management, consultation, counseling, education, prevention, and follow-up services for 120 operators.
- Serve as the onsite Injury Manager (IM) responsible for coordinating the operator’s medical care needs including directly assisting the injured operator’s interactions with Tricare for medical referrals or military medical treatment facility (MTF).
- Serve as the onsite IM responsible for collecting, analyzing, and reporting the metrics related to unit injury trends.
- Participate in periodic meetings to review the care provided to patients.
- Identify any opportunities for improvement in prevention and care strategies.
- Serve as an advisor to the unit Manager in matters related to injury prevention, sports medicine and rehabilitation.
- Serve as an advisor to the unit Manager for administrative matters, purchasing of supplies and equipment and supplemental fiscal requests.
- Conduct equipment, product and literature review to ensure the unit stays current with the provision of care.
- Provide input for the development and utilization of relevant data collection and strategies.
- Conduct peer (record) reviews for the staff as directed by Contracting Officer's Representative (COR).
- Conduct the collection and reporting of workload data as requested by the unit Manager.
- Assist COR with unit Manager in developing and updating criteria-based job descriptions and performance standards.
- Assist with the preparation of short and long-term training plans by offering suggestions for physical training based on knowledge of Unit and Operator health.
- Develop and promulgate training opportunities for the staff to enhance career development, potential for advancement and to further professional expertise.
- Ensure safe and effective operation of equipment used for patient care and contribute to a safe working environment.
- Attend annual required training in accordance with guiding instructions from The American Physical Therapy Association (APTA).
- Document care/therapy performed in the operator’s Electronic Health Record via the Armed Forces Health Longitudinal Technology Application (AHLTA).
- Collect, analyze, resolve, disseminate, and archive information resulting from products created under this support and requires the candidate understand the highly complex military culture, policies and processes.
- Execute active collection to include direct observations, interviews, surveys, and focused collection of recovery and prevention therapy for individuals in the unit.
- Perform the initial analysis of the collected data and provide direct feedback related to strength and conditioning testing, evaluating, identifying physical performance trends, and providing feedback for physical performance improvement, injury avoidance, and injury recovery.
- Analyze collected information and research current professional references in order to facilitate in-depth analyses to determine trends, additional materiel or support requirements, future performance concerns, and other information.
- Conduct data collection and analyses on an ongoing basis with quarterly reporting.
- Provide analysis and reporting during the training cycle and during pre- and post-deployment training evolution.
- Identify and prioritize physical training and rehabilitation gaps across the unit with recommendations so that the final product will be able to be disseminated to the correct audience for resolution in accordance with the Government’s guidance.
- Provide any recommended performance training guidance necessary to enhance the operators’ capabilities.
- Recommend media and forums to publish findings, characterized as issues or deficiencies that negatively impact the unit’s performance, readiness, training and procedures.
- Release findings based on approved recommendations in the form of reports, summaries, publications, entries into systems of record for inclusion into training, exercises, and operational planning.
- Perform updates to applicable databases for trends analysis and historical reference.