Scope of Responsibilities:
To provide Muslim Distinctive Religious Group Leader (DRGL) services for Joint Base San Antonio, Lackland. The Muslim Distinctive Religious Group Leader shall be responsible for leading prayer and teachings that are receptive in a pluralistic environment reflecting the diversity of thought and practice within the Islamic tradition.
Education and Experience:
- Possess familiarity with general Islamic doctrine, teachings, rites, and worship styles.
- Have specific training as a Sunni Religious Group Leader with a minimum of two years’ experience. Contractor must be able to read Arabic. Seminary education, recite the Quran and have 1/30th of the Quran memorized is desirable.
- Possess program management and Windows-based computer system (all Microsoft “Office Pro” programs) skills to plan, develop, coordinate and implement a comprehensive religious education plan for the Installation ministry branch at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland
- Personal qualifications: The contractor shall have the ability to solicit and work harmoniously with volunteers and leaders. Contractor shall maintain professional relationships IAW AFI 36-2909, Chapter 2.
- Distinctive Religious Group Leaders shall provide written validation of their credentials to lead prayer and teach religious education as a Muslim Distinctive Religious Group Leader. Document shall be on official letterhead (original; no photocopies) by a recognized religious organization, which will serve as the credential recognized by the Armed Forces Chaplain Board. Documentation must be maintained in official files.
- Written validation and a completed DD Form 2088 must be completed by a recognized endorsing agent and provided prior to awarding a contract.
- Be a U.S. Citizen or a permanent resident of the United States.
- Contractor shall be a Sunni Muslim male.
- Shall provide, develop, lead and administer prayer, liturgy, and rites to meet the Islamic religious needs of JBSA Lackland community.
- Shall provide the religious support services for JBSA-LAK as outlined in Appendix F
- All services provided shall be done so according to the teaching of the Quran and the Sunnah without favoring a specific sect, denomination or school of thought.
- Contractor shall meet with the designated Muslim Chaplain and Contracting Officer Representative (COR) on a quarterly basis to review and obtain the schedule of services for that quarter.
- Contractor shall be at the respective place(s) of prayer and prepared for each service no later than 15 minutes prior to the designated starting time of any service, and no later than 15 minutes prior to the designated starting time of any Special Services
- Prayer will be done in Arabic. Sermons can be delivered in Arabic, but an English translation of the sermon and religious education will also be delivered. An English translation shall also be sent to the COR and designated Chaplain via hard/digital copy at least a day prior.
- Dress and appearance standards are business casual or appropriate religious garments, anything outside of the dress code outlined in this paragraph will require prior approval by the designated Muslim Chaplain or COR.
- The contractor shall not use the duty title of chaplain while performing services, to include but not limited to printed documents and electronic communications. Contractor can use the title of Contractor or Muslim DRGL. Contractor will refrain from unit engagement and leadership advisement, which are responsibilities, performed solely by military chaplains.