Description of Services
The 711th Human Performance Wing, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio, United States Air Force School of Aerospace Medicine's (USAFSAM), Applied Technology and Genomics Division (FHT) performs genetic research and commercial off the shelf testing of products, to enhance force health protection. USAFSAM is an internationally renowned center for aerospace medical learning, consultation, aerospace medical investigations, and aircrew health assessments. The purpose of this effort is to acquire professional computer programming support and systems engineering support for USAFSAM/FHT. Systems Engineering support contractor employee will assist in formulating, defining, and directing system support and data mining efforts supporting genetics research. Knowledge of Operating Systems (OS), application software packages, scientific equipment to computer connectivity, Local Area Network (LAN) concepts and topologies, and associated standards are needed. Contractor employee shall identify and resolve computer system related problems occurring within the assigned area of responsibility. Contractor employee will provide consultation, advice, opinions, analyses, evaluations, recommendations, and technical and administrative support for selected USAFSAM/FHT activities. Additional services include technical assistance to troubleshoot and resolve bioinformatics computer cluster and network design/connectivity issues and services. It may include efforts to maintain and modernize software applications, systems and/or web sites.
Description of Qualifications and Experience Required
Systems Engineer. The candidate shall provide systems engineering support with the following qualifications:
- Demonstrated experience in managing network systems to ensure hardware and software are functioning and operational standards are met.
- Experience working with and designing network topologies
- Some experience coding (e.g. Linux, Bash, Python, R, C, and Perl scripting)
Minimum Educational Requirements
- B.S. in a Computer-related area and 10 years relevant work experience –or-
- M.S. in a Computer-related area and 5 years relevant work experience
Description of Tasks
The purpose of this position is to provide computer system engineering support services, modernization and/or maintenance expertise to support the mission of the USAFSAM/FHT at WPAFB, OH. Duties include LAN experience, executable application compiling and packaging, and database administration. Support of the Certification & Accreditation (C&A) process as assigned and required by DoD and USAF mandates is required. Current knowledge of DoD Information Assurance Certification and Accreditation Process (DIACAP) is preferred.
The candidate employee shall...
- Document, test, implement, and support software applications based on user requirements
- Perform computer coding per specifications
- Create, modify, troubleshoot, and update input and output capabilities including reports. Reports may vary in complexity based on audience and identified requirements
- Conduct analyses for new reports and functions; provide technical consultation to users/customers
- Interact with users/customers to obtain requirements and verify developed solutions meet needs initially and over time
- Establish and implement application-controlled chain-of-custody and associated management requirements for documents containing Controlled Unclassified Information/sensitive data
- Develop and/or provide the ability to archive, search, and recover historical data
- Provide discretionary access control for web pages, reports and databases
- Be able to produce technical and user documentation and program in relational database query languages, modern programming languages or web development environments
- Maintain/modernize/enhance existing applications and software analysis pipes
- Follow design and coding standards
- Provide training and assistance with new and existing applications
- Perform database backups, as well as general maintenance and upgrades
- Work with Linux OS, Windows 7, OSX, iOS,and Android environments
- Perform SQL database administration
- Use and modify some software to develop or enhance its current genetic interpretation capabilities. Activities may include work on custom FHT application and new options to existing Open Source Software (OSS) projects
- Build report capabilities from data sets to answer research questions. These reports will be easily generated by the medical staff. A basic understanding of biomedical statistics, as evidenced by coursework in statistics, is required. A rudimentary understanding of molecular biology and genetics, as evidenced by at least one undergraduate course in biology, is helpful and desired.
- Evaluate data external “off the shelf” technologies as required.
- Perform assigned portions of system analysis, design, and programming for Linux, Windows and web-based applications.
- Implement data acquisition protocols; capture, update, enhance, modify and add report generators; design user interfaces; and build documentation.
- Perform research, analysis, reporting, and updating of files or systems as required. Projects may include special inventories, equipment management, and other resource management.
- Perform research computing enclave support
- Pack, unpack, configure, upgrade, install, relocate, and connect new and existing systems to the FHT research computing enclave, installing the software packages and patches, tablets/mobile computing devices and other actions (such as trash disposal and those required to maintain a clean and safe work environment) related to receiving, configuring, installing, maintaining, and disposing of system components.
- Perform and/or assist in managing computer equipment inventory
- Serve as the liaison between FHT and the 711 HPW/OMCO IT support services, WPAFB, OH in the resolution of research computer-related problems/issues. The contractor employee may also be required to help plan infrastructure, ensure continuity of operations, and/or monitor systems
- Troubleshoot FHT research enclave computers, tablets/mobile computing devices, monitors, printers, scanners, and other systems and peripherals; perform basic problem-isolation procedures to detect and identify problem cause(s) and implement the needed corrective actions to restore mission capability
- Use disk cloning, imaging and/or data recovery equipment/software to copy, restore data and/or prepare hard drives for use