Synapse Games, a Kongregate studio, is committed to building fun, strategically deep, and socially engaging free-to-play games on both mobile and web.
We are a dedicated and efficient team that enjoys making games as much as playing them. We measure our efforts through results rather than hours worked, and value the importance of a work-life/family balance on top of offering competitive pay and benefits. As our portfolio and teams grow, our culture remains built around gaining knowledge through cooperation. From board game nights to role-playing campaigns, we all continue to learn from each other and grow.
As a Server Side Software Engineer with Synapse, you will work with an array of technologies to implement back-end game logic and state persistence. You should be smart, eager to learn, an excellent communicator, and very tenacious. We are looking for someone who is willing to accept ownership of the back-end game components and work directly with game designers and client-side engineers to implement and maintain new and existing game features. You will be shipping code that impacts millions of players.
- Design and implement server-side gameplay systems and admin tools
- Maintain and develop existing games on a roughly two week release schedule
- Identify and optimize performance problems
- Support game designers with game-play analytics and by building simulation tools
- Participate in code review for deeper understanding
- Passionate about developing games
- Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or related degree
- Proficient knowledge of one or more back-end programming languages
- Understanding of MySQL or equivalent RDBMS design and optimization
- Strong computer science fundamentals of data structures and algorithm design
- Motivated to independently identify areas of code or gameplay that need improvement
- 3+ years professional experience in software development
- Client side game development skills
- Experience using AWS
- Experience with PHP, C#, Java, or Go
This position is available in our Chicago location. To apply, click here
or use the application form below.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.