The Director of Nursing, assists with the planning, coordination, leading, controlling and evaluation of home health services. The Director of Nursing is responsible for coordination and liaison with appropriate parent and affiliate Departments and committees; development of policies and guidelines for and obtaining input from service personnel and providing professional input to related administrative systems. He/she directs and supervises professional and paraprofessional personnel rendering client care services, fosters public relations for the company by consulting and planning with health care facilities regarding staffing needs, and communicates the concept of quality client care to the general community. The Director of Nursing interprets service needs to the Administrator and acts as an administrative liaison to the Administrator and Governing Body.
Primary Job Responsibilities
- RN (Registered Nurse) in good standing in the state of Ohio
- Significant technical experience and demonstrated leadership/management skills;
- Geriatric nursing background;
- Prior experience working a nursing management role;
- Restorative care philosophy, excellent professional skill (both assessment and hands-on);
- Demonstrated knowledge using nursing systems and tracking/assessment tools;
- Strong knowledge of state and federal nursing home regulations;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Oversees/directs/coordinates nursing staff to provide proper resident care consistent with standard nursing practices;
- Accountable for nursing compliance, excellence, and delivery of resident care services in line with the company, state, and federal guidelines;
- Develops and establishes nursing service objectives and standards of practice;
- Assures provision of appropriate medication, treatments and nursing services according to care plans and physician’s instructions;
- Monitors/controls inventories of supplies;
- Audits and reviews resident charts and documentation where applicable to ensure uniformity, accuracy, and completeness.
- Develop and implement care plans
- Knowledgeable of OASIS documentation and guidelines.
- Operates clinical department within budgetary guidelines as appropriate.
- Coordinates staff schedules according to need
- Responsibility for operations in the absence of the Administrator
- Conducts the nursing process' assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation
- Develops, implements, and evaluates programs to measure, assess, and improve the quality of nursing care
- Ensures optimal quality of care is provided in a safe environment
- Participates in surveys
- Participates and directs mandatory in-service education
- Ensures that adequate clinical staff is available
- Plans and facilitates meetings and committees
- Sets goals and establishes priorities then coordinates and manages the policies and resources needed to meet those goals
- Administers clinical services budget and expense control
- Oversees clinical employee conduct
- Assesses the health needs of each client
- Communicating the needs of the clients to the referral source
- Is responsible for recruiting, hiring and evaluating clinical staff.
- Participates in planning for the orientation of new employees. Conducts selected orientation classes.
- Serves as a role model for all colleagues by setting an example of high standards in dress, conduct, cooperation, and job performance.
- Immediately reports any accident, incident, lost articles or unusual occurrence to the Administrator.
- Oversees Agency’s ongoing Quality Assessment and Performance Improvement (QAPI) program.
- Provides 24 hour/day, seven (7) days/week on-call coverage.
- Is normally available at all times during and after operating hours; may designate a qualified temporary replacement if he/she will not be available.
Education / Certification
Five years of experience as Director of Nursing
Ideally, the experience is within the home care industry
Must have excellent computer skills.
- A current and valid Ohio RN nursing license
- DON / Prior leadership and supervisory experience required
- Examples and proof of survey history and outcomes along with POCs and OASIS knowledge.
- Polished and professional along with amazing customer services and leadership skills
- Ability to work well both independently and in a team environment
- Strong organizational skills
- Willingness to work evenings and/or weekends as needed.
- Knowledge of medical office management systems and procedures
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritize work
- Attention to detail and problem-solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multitask
- Ability to works well under pressure with minimal supervision
- Ability to competently use appropriate practice management software