A little about us...
Komodo is a well-respected product design and development team, working with ambitious organisations across the UK. We value curiosity, integrity and courage so we look to work with clients where their team's values align well with ours, to help us do our best work.
The variety of our projects allows us to work using leading-edge technology, tooling and processes. We’re trusted to work with clients like Citizens Advice, ITV, College of Policing and Newcastle Uni amongst others to deliver products used by millions of people across the UK.
As a developer at Komodo, it’s your responsibility to collaborate with the team, helping developers learn new concepts, assisting designers in understanding what’s possible. You'll think creatively when solving problems and endeavour to challenge the obvious answer, asking yourself “Is this the best version of the solution”.
We’re looking for someone who wants to create software so good people want to use it. We think that in order to build great products using the latest tech, you need to be someone eager to keep up-to-date with industry tools, technologies and best-practises. On top of self-lead learning, we support by covering the cost of course material on Udemy, conference attendance and a shared library of literature.
Working together is better than working alone, so we encourage quality feedback between peers in the design and development team to share knowledge and know-how. Quality control is not only important for someone’s personal brand but the brand of our business, so we encourage PRs to be peer-reviewed.
We believe that you eventually become the average of the people you spend your time around, so we’ve worked hard to build a team of talented people who bounce off each other’s strengths. If that sounds like a team you want to contribute to and thrive in, you'll have:
- 2+ years of demonstrable PHP experience.
- A thorough understanding of PHP development on the LAMP/LEMP stacks.
- Demonstrable experience of Laravel 5 development.
- A thorough understanding of responsive design and development.
- Understanding of unit-testing PHP applications.
Perks & Benefits
Paying people fairly and competitively, providing balanced perks and a work environment where they’re valued is a no brainer. We do our best to deliver on these core commitments. If you’re a member of the team, we provide;
- A salary matched to your experience and expertise.
- Central Newcastle location with excellent transport links. (https://w3w.co/ally.gifts.dance)
- Flexible working to support a productive and balanced week. (11 am - 3 pm core)
- 25 days holiday p/a as standard. (Plus public holidays. 33 total)
- An employee pension plan with People’s Pension to help you prepare for the future.
- A share options scheme to build a model for shared success.
- Healthy snack packs and fresh fruit delivered weekly.
- Herman Miller chairs, so good you'll never want to stand again.
- Hardware that can handle multiple Chrome tabs. (27" 5K iMac + 27" 4K Dell monitor.)
- Surprise Starbucks coffees, cakes and pastries.
- Unlimited fresh bean-to-cup coffee and a selection of continental tea.
- When it's really hot outside, ice cream appears on your desk.
- Communal Nintendo Switch loaded with games to trigger people at lunch.
- Dog-friendly office to calm people down after losing at Mario Kart.
- Outdoor breakout space offering unlimited vitamin D. (Disclaimer: when it’s sunny)
- Send your CV (no cover letter needed)
- A 30-minute call to get to know you.
- A 4-hour in-person interview, with lunch on us and your costs covered. (3-hour coding challenge, approx 30-minutes on a code review of your response to our challenge and then lunch.)
Get to know us before committing...
We understand that changing roles is a big step and a risk for both parties. Traditionally, interviews are a way for us to get to know and evaluate you - but we feel you should have that same opportunity with us!
Interested in the technologies we use? Ask us!
Curious about our tooling? Try them with us.
Wondering what the team is like? Enjoy a lunch, on us, to find out.
It's a completely optional step for you to take to get a feel for what it's like at Komodo, and we’d love to meet you! If you’d like to spend a day with one of our team, just email email@example.com.