KiwiCo is an innovative eCommerce company that sparks kids’ creativity and curiosity through offline and online materials and inspiration. We offer kids a delightful, engaging way to explore, create, and learn. We offer a subscription service that delivers curated hands-on projects to kids. We take great pride and ownership in the products we build and in the community of parents and kids we serve. We’re backed by leading investors and were named one of the “20 Startups to Watch” by Business Insider. Our offices are located in Mountain View, within walking distance from the Caltrain station.
Role and Responsibilities
We are seeking an entrepreneurial, data-driven Director to join our team to lead the eCommerce Store business. This experienced individual will have proven successes leading and growing ecommerce businesses at scale. The person in this role will own the P&L for KiwiCo’s eCommerce Store. You’ll set the vision, then put it into action, driving programs that span merchandising, product, marketing, engineering, analytics and data science. You’ll be focused on creating a differentiated digital commerce experience, leveraging extensive data to create highly relevant shopping opportunities at scale. This person will grow the Store into a best-in-class ecommerce experience by defining the online experience, driving the Store’s merchandise strategy, developing a strong understanding of consumer needs and behaviors, and managing the end-to-end process from overseeing updates to the site to managing inventory and sales data.
We’re looking for an innovator with a strong perspective on the future of eCommerce and vision for growth, who lives in data to uncover new and unique opportunities for growth. You should be one part merchant with a great eye for product, one part growth marketing, and one part analyst who is driven by data. This position requires someone who can think strategically, while managing the day-to-day execution of their vision. You’ll build KiwiCo’s eCommerce Store into a significant, thriving business unit.
- Own revenue targets for eCommerce Store, with responsibility for hitting aggressive quarterly growth goals. Meet - and exceed - financial and margin goals.
- Develop deep understanding of KiwiCo customer’s shopping preferences and unmet needs; leverage this understanding to define commerce vision and differentiated strategy.
- Strategic agility and the ability to envision and deliver highly effective cross-functional initiatives in complex, rapid growth areas. Lead the strategy & vision for a cross-functional team of product, marketing, analytics, engineering and data science in ideation, technical development and launch of monetization products and experiences. Define and drive the commerce experience through product, merchandising, lifecycle marketing, and business strategy. You'll set the tone and pace for the entire team by setting best practices, schedules, expectations, and priorities.
- Lead and manage the rapid testing, implementation, and scaling of multiple new site initiatives, in additional to daily site activity and optimization with Digital Product and Engineering teams.
- Work closely with the analytics team to uncover insights and new opportunities for growth and differentiation. Monitor the changes in overall CLV of the Store customer, as well as the Mixed customer (Store + Sub). Use findings to implement changes to the assortment mix, features on the Store site, or marketing strategies or execution.
- With Product Design and Operations teams, to ensure delivery of high quality products that align with KiwiCo values and standards.
- Strong perspective on best practices for leveraging paid acquisition, email and push to drive purchase conversion. Develop promotional plans, messaging, offers, while also analyzing performance by channel alongside Marketing team.
- Create and own merchandise assortment strategy, including annual merchandise roadmap.
- Define new product development opportunities - introduce new categories, test new price points and products for various age groups and use cases.
- Optimize the site and the merchandise for more upsell and cross-sell opportunities. Increase AOVs and continuously test.
- Establish detailed KPIs and metrics to track and report on the performance of processes and programs and transform data into actionable insights and recommendations.
- Bring new ideas and innovative approaches to digital experiences to drive monetization and conversion including upselling and cross-selling.
- Be the champion for the eCommerce Store business and educate the rest of the company on the growth opportunities in Store. Regularly socialize insights to executive leadership. Ensure that online strategies align with overall KiwiCo business objectives and branding.
- Manage forecast for eCommerce sales and propose annual resourcing and budgets needed to hit goals.
- Develop, train, and mentor others to track site metrics and analyze / report on the business. Also manage others around inventory management and daily / weekly maintenance of the site information / pricing / promotions.
We seek team players with an infectious positive energy and a get-it-done attitude. Candidates must thrive in ambiguity, love a rapid paced environment, and have a strong desire to learn
- 8-10+ years driving growth in a fast-paced eCommerce company with demonstrated success scaling a business and delivering results. Relevant merchandising or buying experience Strong perspective on strategy and vision around differentiated eCommerce experiences - and highly analytical.
- Clear understanding of financial retail measurements and eCommerce metrics, and how to impact them. Experienced in growth and lifecycle marketing in eCommerce space - with perspective on best practices for leveraging paid acquisition, email and push to drive purchase conversion.
- Oversee commerce customer experience to optimize and test, create methodology and analysis to improve the customer journey and lift key success metrics. Drive store strategy to create relevant, value-added, and engaging customer experience to increase engagement, conversion, lifetime value.
- An eye for great merchandise design and intuitive understanding of what will sell and what constitutes a differentiated stand-out product
- Deep understanding of technology, product / merchandising, and business so that you can connect user behaviors to business outcomes. Experience driving initiatives across product, engineering, and analytics
- Proven intellectual curiosity, ability to quickly come up to speed on complex business processes and generate creative solutions to tough problems.
- Excellent business intuition and the ability to generate novel insight
- Broad operating range - the ability to engage at a strategic, executive level and dive into hands-on execution
- Excellent communication skills, especially executive-level communication and the ability to tell a compelling story.
- Bachelor's Degree required; Masters or MBA ideal
If you’re passionate about delivering innovative, delightful, and enriching products and experiences for kids, we’d love to hear from you. Please apply by submitting a resume and cover letter telling us why you’re interested in KiwiCo and what you think you’d bring to this specific position and our team.
KiwiCo is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Individuals seeking employment at KiwiCo are considered without regard to race, ethnicity, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran or military status, or any other legally protected category.