KiwiCo is an innovative eCommerce company that sparks kids’ creativity and curiosity through offline and online materials and inspiration. We offer kids a delightful, engaging way to explore, create, and learn. We offer a subscription service that delivers curated hands-on projects to kids. We take great pride and ownership in the products we build and in the community of parents and kids we serve. We’re backed by leading investors and were named one of the “20 Startups to Watch” by Business Insider. Our offices are located in Mountain View, within walking distance from the Caltrain station.
Role and Responsibilities
We’re looking for a creative, hands-on industrial designer interested in fulfilling our promise to delight our youngest customers (0-2yrs) and their parents with hands-on, educational objects and projects, as well as rich content associated experiences we deliver. In this role, you will be on the front lines of our product development process, diving into and assisting with all aspects, from conception through manufacturing and shipment. We're looking for natural makers who love exploring and learning about new materials and techniques.
- Ideation, brainstorming, and research of hands-on product concepts. We’re a fun, creative bunch and our products span themes across arts, crafts, science, imaginative play, and more. We love pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to squeeze into a 3”x7”x10” crate.
- Prototyping and design iteration. You must be a maker at heart. Physical prototyping is our bread and butter, a daily activity that brings life to our ideas, informs design decisions, and drives our process forward. We like to get our hands dirty, move quickly, and iterate often. Familiarity with sewing, fabrics, and soft goods is a must.
- Product testing. We hold weekly product testing sessions with kids, and the feedback we glean from these sessions deeply impacts our product direction. We love ‘em, and hope that you do too!
- Material sourcing and sampling. As awesome as our ideas may be, the execution of these ideas is just as important. We work closely with our Sourcing and Operations teams, as well as our manufacturers to ensure that our products meet the highest quality standards.
- Editorial. A project is only as good as its instructions. We work closely with our editorial team to create compelling and clear instructions sets, as well as magazine content and DIY activities.
As a start-up celebrating creativity and development, we believe and encourage the same in our team. We seek team players with an infectious positive energy, great initiative, and a get-it-done attitude. Candidates must thrive in ambiguity and love a rapid pace.
- Passionate about kids, creativity, and early childhood development. You love kids and the power of hands-on learning and development. Creative projects are your jam, and you love bringing a spark to a child’s eye as they learn something fun and new.
- Experience: 2-5 years+ designing physical products. Experience with all aspects of the product development process, from conception through to a finished product. You are passionate about the design process and tirelessly pursue excellence in all aspects.
- Strong physical prototyping skills. You’re a maker at heart and love getting creative with your hands. You’re always bursting with crafty new ideas and can whip them up in a jiffy. Taking an idea from your head to a physical prototype and then rapidly iterating comes naturally.
- Effective problem solver, with a hands-on “get things done” mentality. You are eager and able to solve challenges and tackle opportunities, identify potential issues and hurdles, and develop ways to get around them. You can adapt quickly to figure out innovative ways to get things done.
- Time management skills and ability to multitask. We move fast. Effective prioritization and organization to stay positive and proactive in an ambiguous environment is a must. We always have several projects on the burner, and learning to parse and prioritize is essential.
- Detail & process-oriented. We move quickly, but we bring care and thoughtfulness to everything we do. We care deeply about the details, and strive for excellence in every aspect of the product development process.
- Collaboration & communication skills. We work closely with our Operations, Sourcing, Editorial, and Marketing teams. You have exceptional communication skills that allow fluid cross-functional team discussions, projects, and collaborations. A true team player.
- Always learning. As a growing startup we’re always faced with new and exciting challenges. We enthusiastically own our many hats, and dive into the unknown. We love to learn, grow, and push the boundaries of what’s possible.
- More about you: You're positive, motivated, dynamic, thoughtful, creative, enthusiastic and entrepreneurial with excellent judgement. You’re also a maker at heart and love to be creative and work with kids.
- Proficient in Adobe Suite
- Background in product or industrial design, particularly in soft goods or plush toys
- Experience with early childhood developmental milestones
- Experience designing hands-on, educational projects for kids
If you’re passionate about delivering innovative, delightful, and enriching products and experiences for kids, we’d love to hear from you. Please apply by submitting a resume and cover letter telling us why you're interested in KiwiCo and what you think you'd bring to this specific position and our team.
KiwiCo is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Individuals seeking employment at KiwiCo are considered without regard to race, ethnicity, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran or military status, or any other legally protected category.