Technical Proposal Writer
Kitware is an advanced software R&D and open-source solutions provider for research facilities, government institutions, and corporations worldwide. Founded in 1998, Kitware specializes in research and development in the areas of high-performance computing and visualization, medical imaging, computer vision, data and analytics, and quality software process. Kitware solutions make a difference in the world, from improved healthcare to increased national security. Kitware is headquartered in Clifton Park, NY, with offices in Carrboro, NC; Santa Fe, NM; Arlington, VA; and Lyon, France.
Kitware is actively seeking a talented Technical Proposal Writer and Editor to join our Business Development Team. The Technical Proposal Writer and Editor will work closely with senior technical leaders and administrative coordinators to manage, compose, and edit a variety of documents related to proposal submissions, ensuring that submitted proposals have the best possible chance of success. The position will have a strong focus on federal proposal submissions. The individual will help guide strategy for proposal writing and marketing communications across a variety of channels.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the following:
- In collaboration with senior proposal leaders and technical teams, serve as editor, writer, and curator for proposal sections, white papers and other content to support federal proposal efforts in the $100,000 to multi-million-dollar range
- Perform market research for technology developed in a proposal; work with proposal team to develop a commercialization strategy for the technology; persuasively convey the strategy in a commercialization plan
- Drive the scheduling of writing activities including copy editing and commercialization plan writing
- Edit the writing of colleagues and collaborators for style, grammar, content and messaging
- Review RFP technical requirements and ensure that those requirements are met
- Compose and maintain supporting information such as biographical sketches, current and pending support, company history, and facilities descriptions that need to be customized for each submission
- Mentor Kitware personnel on effective writing strategies; maintain written documentation on proposal writing procedures; communicate these procedures to stakeholders
- Perform additional internal and external communication tasks related to business development team efforts
Candidates should have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree and at least 5-7 years of demonstrated experience writing and editing technical documents, writing commercialization plans, and/or participating in federal grant proposal efforts. Additional qualifications include the following:
- Demonstrated excellence in written and verbal communication skills, including confidence in reading, writing, and editing of detailed proposal and technical materials
- Demonstrated ability to adapt writing style to different audiences
- Demonstrated analytical and organizational skills with excellent attention to detail
- Strong time management skills with experience managing multiple writing deadlines at once
- Experience with a variety of technical writing activities including copy editing and commercialization plan writing
- Experience writing federal grant proposals
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work comfortably on deadline-driven proposal efforts
- Personal computer skills including Google Docs, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint), and the ability to learn new applications; experience with LaTeX is preferred
Kitware team members enjoy a small company environment, flexibility in work assignments, and high levels of independence and responsibility. Besides a great work environment, our comprehensive benefits package includes a generous compensation plan, flexible working hours, six weeks paid time off, 401(k), health insurance, life insurance, short- and long-term disability insurance, and free coffee, drinks and snacks.
Candidates that have a strong preference should indicate their preferred office location somewhere in their cover letter or resume. Available offices for this position include Clifton Park, NY; and Carrboro, NC.
Kitware actively subscribes to a policy of equal employment opportunity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, protected veteran status, uniformed service member status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.