C++ Software Developer: Computational Modeling and Simulation
Kitware is developing open source computational tools and applications for modeling and simulation of open and minimally invasive surgical procedures during cardiovascular interventions, neurosurgery, nasal surgery, orthognathic surgery and orthopedic surgery. If hired, the R&D engineer will be working on open source computational simulation toolkits that Kitware maintains including iMSTK, Pulse, CMB and VTK and developing applications using these toolkits. The tasks involve implementing new computational geometry and physics-based simulations algorithms, improving the real-time performance of existing modules, helping with the execution of commercial and research projects and providing customer support.
- B.S or M.S in Computer science or a related field with emphasis on computational modeling, simulation and rendering
- Strong C++ programming experience
- 3D computational geometry and mesh generation algorithm design and software development experience
- Working knowledge of advanced data structures, algorithms design and parallel computing (CUDA/OpenMP/TBB)
- Strong computer graphics and rendering experience
- Working knowledge of computational linear algebra concepts (vector, matrix math, numerical solvers) and numerical methods such as finite elements or finite difference.
- Experience with game engine technologies (Unity/Unreal/PhysX)
- Experience with open source computational geometry libraries such as CGAL, PCL or VTK.
- Experience in simulation workflow i.e tuning simulations by varying their discretization, constitutive equations, and solver parameters to obtain convergence with minimal computational effort is strongly desirable.
- Experience programming a simulation software and participation in software development workflows
- Knowledge of particle-based techniques such as smoothed particle hydrodynamics and position-based dynamics
- Prior experience in related technologies such as virtual/augmented reality, haptics, parallel computing and advanced haptics
Founded in 1998, Kitware is a leader in the creation and support of open-source software and state-of-the-art technology, and is a fast-moving and ever-changing company. Kitware leverages its diverse technical expertise to provide advanced custom solutions for a host of complex technical problems. Kitware’s mission is to advance the frontiers of understanding by developing innovative open-source software platforms and integrating them into research, processes, and products.
Kitware team members enjoy a small company environment, flexibility in work assignments, and high levels of independence and responsibility. Besides a great work environment, our comprehensive benefits package includes a generous compensation plan, flexible working hours, six weeks paid time off, 401(k), health insurance, life insurance, short- and long-term disability insurance, and free coffee, drinks and snacks.
Kitware actively subscribes to a policy of equal employment opportunity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, protected veteran status, uniformed service member status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.