Kitware is actively seeking a talented Software Engineer to grow a research initiative and join our team supporting scientific, government, and commercial customers.
Kitware collaborates on a multitude of basic and applied research and development projects. Our collaborators include the top universities from around the world, national research labs, medical device manufacturers, car manufacturers, oil and gas companies, financial institutes, and many others. The projects range from working with the open source community and extending our open source libraries, such as ITK, VTK, ParaView, 3D Slicer, CMake, and Girder, to developing proprietary domain-specific vertical applications for a wide array of platforms including web and mobile devices.
By joining our team you will participate in a dynamic work environment with exceptionally talented and friendly coworkers who are committed to high-quality development practices.
The ideal candidate will:
- Build a new sustainable research initiative at Kitware by obtaining federal and/or commercial funding to perform research and development activities in that area. The hired individual will have access to Kitware's knowledgeable and experienced technical team, to others at Kitware who have formed successful initiatives, and to an excellent support staff to aid in preparing and submitting proposals. Candidates should indicate their proposed initiative in their cover letter and/or CV, and be prepared to pitch their idea (the technology, the funding opportunities, and growth potential) during their interview presentation at Kitware. Initiatives may be related to but are not limited to the following areas:
- Data visualization
- Machine learning / deep learning
- Natural language processing
- Graph-based analytics
- Have excellent software development skills and be capable and willing to participate in existing research and development activities while ramping up the new research initiative.
- Drive growth, adoption, and cooperation in the larger scientific, open source, and funding communities by effectively communicating through blog posts and research papers, and participating in conferences, workshops, and government forums
- Participate in our team’s software quality assurance practices
- Work concurrently on multiple projects for a variety of customers
- Be an excellent communicator with both local and remote teammates
- Master's or PhD in Computer Science or related area, plus a minimum of 3-5 years experience, or equivalent amount of education and experience
- Credibility in the research domain being pursued, including published work and/or open source libraries in use by a relevant community
- Strong technical expertise in the domain being pursued
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated success with proposal writing for government grants or other funding sources
- Knowledge of software development methodologies and code versioning tools such as Git, continuous integration, and software testing is desirable
Founded in 1998, Kitware is a leader in the creation and support of open-source software and state-of-the-art technology, and is one of the fastest growing software companies in the country. Kitware leverages its diverse technical expertise to provide advanced custom solutions for a host of complex technical problems. Kitware’s mission is to advance the frontiers of understanding by developing innovative open-source software platforms and integrating them into research, processes, and products.
Kitware team members enjoy a small company environment, flexibility in work assignments, and high levels of independence and responsibility. Besides a great work environment, our comprehensive benefits package includes a generous compensation plan, flexible working hours, six weeks paid time off, 401(k), health insurance, life insurance, short- and long-term disability insurance, and free coffee, drinks and snacks.
Candidates that have a strong preference should indicate their preferred office location somewhere in their cover letter or resume. Available offices include Clifton Park, NY; Carrboro, NC; Arlington, VA; or Santa Fe, NM.
Please visit www.jobs.kitware.com to view other Kitware positions you may be interested in and learn more about what we have to offer.
Kitware actively subscribes to a policy of equal employment opportunity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, protected veteran status, uniformed service member status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.