Kitware is developing open source surgical simulation software, computational tools and applications for patient-specific structural and fluid dynamics models that would allow surgeons and interventional radiologists to plan or rehearse surgical procedures and to practice and advance their surgical skills in a risk-free environment. The target clinical applications include open and minimally invasive surgical procedures during cardiovascular interventions, neurosurgery, nasal surgery, orthognathic surgery and orthopedic surgery.
If hired, the R&D engineer will be working on Interactive Medical Simulation Toolkit (iMSTK
)-which is an open-source toolkit for medical simulation that Kitware maintains and other modeling and visualization libraries such as Pulse and VTK. The tasks involve implementing new features, improving the performance of existing modules,helping with the execution of funded projects and providing customer support.
- Masters or Ph.D. in mechanical engineering, computer science, applied mathematics or a related field with emphasis on physics based modeling and simulation.
- Experienced in C++ programming
- Knowledge of inner-workings of numerical methods such as finite elements, finite difference and numerical solvers is mandatory.
- Experience in simulation workflow i.e tuning simulations by varying their discretization, constitutive equations, and solver parameters to obtain convergence with minimal computational effort is strongly desirable.
- Experience programming a simulation software and participation in software development workflows is desirable.
- Prior experience in related technologies such as virtual/augmented reality, haptics, parallel computing and advanced graphics is a plus.
Founded in 1998, Kitware is a leader in the creation and support of open-source software and state-of-the-art technology, and is a fast-moving and ever-changing company. Kitware leverages its diverse technical expertise to provide advanced custom solutions for a host of complex technical problems. Kitware’s mission is to advance the frontiers of understanding by developing innovative open-source software platforms and integrating them into research, processes, and products.
Kitware team members enjoy a small company environment, flexibility in work assignments, and high levels of independence and responsibility. Besides a great work environment, our comprehensive benefits package includes a generous compensation plan, flexible working hours, six weeks paid time off, 401(k), health insurance, life insurance, short- and long-term disability insurance, and free coffee, drinks and snacks.
Kitware actively subscribes to a policy of equal employment opportunity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, protected veteran status, uniformed service member status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.