About the Role
Kapow is driving an exciting transformation of how companies find, book and execute some of their most important face-to-face interactions with key clients and this role is responsible for the critical technology platform and team that makes this possible.
The Director of Technology at Kapow is a key leadership role in the organization, reporting directly to the VP of Product Development, and will be responsible for all technology aspects of building, maintaining and growing the Kapow platform. The team is responsible for engineering and architecture of the multiple applications powering supply acquisition and management, website experience, marketing tools, transaction management and data infrastructure.
This role is accountable for all aspects of the Technology team in terms of staff, development, quality and operations. You will have an established track record of developing complex distributed software systems, delivering high quality applications with an exceptional User Experience, a keen technical curiosity, excellent management and communication skills, and be driven to achieve results in a fast paced, dynamic environment.
- In collaboration with members of the Technology, Product and Marketing teams this role will be responsible for defining Kapow’s technology and product development strategy.
- Lead, build and motivate a talented team responsible for all technology services, including: application development, strategic IT planning, data and information management, architecture, IT security and AWS cloud-based infrastructure.
- Analyze and assess the effectiveness of all existing operations and current/future needs based on evolving technologies and market competition.
- Develop, report on and continuously improve KPIs by driving enhanced site monitoring and optimization capabilities to ensure that we are always focused on end-user experience.
- Provide coaching on all relevant competencies for the engineers in your own team and others as needed.
- Act as a catalyst to drive your staff's career development by providing actionable feedback, coaching and identifying opportunities within and outside of your team.
- Maintain a career development framework for engineers, architects and technology support roles in your organization and assist individuals with navigating their career path.
- Drive your team to innovate and deliver roadmap features with agility and high degree of quality.
- Maintain and optimize development tools, environment and best practices within your team and ensure they are followed to assure quality and long-term health of the services your team owns.
- Provide technical guidance and thought leadership to engineers.
- Be an evangelist in the company for data-informed thinking and decision making.
- Ideal candidate should possess 10+ years experience in a mid to high volume B2C or B2B eCommerce environment. Minimum of 6 years in a technology management capacity with direct leadership responsibilities.
- Demonstrable and recent experience in managing external service providers. Experience managing capital and expense budgets that include labor and software is necessary.
- While experience in the event or hospitality industry is not necessary, ideal candidates will come from industries in which high-availability of systems is paramount to business operations and customer experience is central to success.
- Bachelor's degree or above in Computer Science, Information Systems or related field preferred.
- Extensive technical experience in the following areas: application development, infrastructure engineering, integration and support.
- Strong working knowledge of software development technologies in an agile environment.
- Demonstrated ability to recruit and lead a technical team, including performance management and career path definition.
- Self-motivated, able to deal with ambiguity, and works well under pressure to meet deadlines within short time constraints
- Prior experience building and managing services in AWS or similar high-performance cloud environments.