Are you product-oriented and interested in working at a nimble, growing startup with the opportunity to lead large, ambitious projects and help scale a growing team? Juristat is the industry leader in patent prosecution analytics and competitive intelligence, and we’re striving to hire a diverse and skilled group of individuals who will contribute toward growing our vision. We’re looking for a Software Engineering Manager to join our team.
ABOUT THE TEAM
Juristat is building an incredible series of products, and we need the team to create those tools. The people who make up our Engineering teams focus their skills and efforts on ensuring integration between stable platform operations and user-facing applications. The teams play pivotal roles in the company throughout our entire business stack, not just consumer-facing products. They work together to guarantee a strong user experience, serving both internal and external customers. The Engineering Manager will be responsible for scaling our agile teams (including hiring) and implementing a robust vision for agile SDLC best practices.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Juristat is a small, fast-growing company, so you’ll likely gain experience on many different projects across the organization. Some of the areas you’ll be focusing your attention are:
- Managing projects across the application development, platform development, and data/ data science teams according to Scrum principles
- Deploying a compelling vision for a highly functioning, product-focused Engineering team that drives product and business value
- Creating a compelling career path for our software engineers, with clear grade levels and a clear path to promotion
- Initially conducting daily scrums, weekly sprint plans, sprint reviews, and retrospectives; over time, training and mentoring team members to become effective Scrum Masters and/or Product Owners
- Conducting regular 1:1s with all your direct reports
- Interfacing directly with Product Owners to ensure backlog is adequately groomed and requirements are understood
- Ensuring the Scrum process is implemented effectively and in direct service of product development and business value
- Ensuring Engineering has appropriately identified and broken down technical tickets associated with product tickets
- Providing credible estimates and timelines for projects to help us make the right tradeoffs
- Advocating for clarity when requirements are unclear
- Maintaining reports and historical performance so we can accurately observe our behavior and intelligently adjust estimates
There are several features that make you stand out as the right person to fill this position. In particular:
- You have 2-5 years in an agile software engineering management role or 2-5 years agile project management experience
- You have a Bachelors in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- You have 2-3 years experience in a senior software engineering role in an agile environment
- You have experience working with AWS and modern CI/CD development tooling
- You have extensive experience managing (or working on) remote teams
- You might have some experience leading data science teams
- You have experience building data-heavy applications
- You have experience with GitHub/ZenHub or similar project management tools
- You have a demonstrated ability to drive projections to completion while maintaining a solid communication loop
- You make an effort to understand the needs of our clients, both internal and external, and apply that understanding at every stage of our development
- You are a compassionate leader who can manage diverse personalities and work styles
- You have a good head for organizational structure and team/people interfaces; we want you to help us define interfaces to other teams, as well as intra-team
Regardless of how well you feel you fit this description, we encourage you to apply if you love to collaborate with a series of diverse teams to build a product that our customers can’t live without.
THE BIG PICTURE
Juristat is a fast-growing SaaS provider assisting law firms and companies at all stages of the patent prosecution process. Our statistical modeling capabilities enable our customers to visually plot their chance of success in every aspect of the patent application process. Since 2012, we’ve been creating and building tools we believe will revolutionize patent prosecution systems around the world.
Why We Build: The goal is to remove as much of the guesswork as possible from the patent application process. We want our tools to provide patent attorneys with a greater ability to assist inventors in protecting their intellectual property, and help inventors find attorneys who are uniquely qualified for their specific needs.
Who We Are: To keep building these tools, we’ve cultivated a team of world class individuals who are obsessed about iterative improvement of themselves, our product, and our processes. As an organization, we thrive in small teams that allow us to be fast and flexible, and avoid the bureaucracy that slows growth. We are driven by opportunity and our passion to build together.
How We Operate: We also know that each of us enjoys working in a safe, welcoming, and inclusive environment. All of our teammates agree to follow a code of conduct. Additionally, we show our employees that we value them by providing:
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Retirement plan with 3% company match
- Unlimited personal leave policy
- Fun and flexible office environment!
- Opportunity to work from home/remotely as needed
Juristat is an equal opportunity employer. We're excited to work with people no matter their race, color, creed, religion, veteran status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, pregnancy status, or mental or physical disability.