Do you have a strong background in data science and an interest in working at a nimble, growing startup? Juristat is the industry leader in patent prosecution analytics and competitive intelligence, and we’re striving to hire a diverse and skilled group of individuals who will contribute toward growing our vision. We’re looking for a Senior Data Scientist to lead large, ambitious projects and help us build a top-tier data science practice.
ABOUT THE TEAM
Juristat is building an incredible series of products, and we need the team to create those tools. The people who make up our Data team focus their skills and efforts on acquiring and analyzing the most complete and accurate data available to grow our SaaS tools and inform our business strategies. The Data Scientist will be responsible for applying data mining techniques, doing statistical analysis, and building high-quality prediction systems integrated with our products. The Data Scientist will help us discover the information hidden in vast amounts of data, and help us make smarter decisions to deliver even better products.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Juristat is a small, fast-growing company, so you’ll likely gain experience on many different projects across the organization. Some of the areas you will be focusing your attention are:
- Designing, developing, and programming methods, processes, and systems to manage and analyze data across multiple sources for actionable insights, solutions, and product enhancements
- Utilizing modern NLP and classification techniques to improve search algorithms
- Building machine learning and predictive algorithms to improve the capabilities and efficacy of products and tools
- Developing and coding programs and algorithms to acquire, process, cleanse, integrate, and verify structured and unstructured data from disparate sources
- Interacting with product and business managers to identify, interpret, and communicate strategic insights and recommendations based on findings to stakeholders using visualizations and other means
There are several features that make you stand out as the right person to fill this position. In particular:
- You have a minimum of 2+ years of experience in a similar role and have applied your experience to real-world business and product problems
- You have a Bachelor’s degree in Data Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Engineering, or a related discipline
- You might Master’s degree in a similar field
- You possess a strong understanding of statistics and probability and have excellent applied statistics skills, such as distributions, statistical testing, regression, etc.
- You are skilled in machine learning techniques such as supervised machine learning, decision trees, logistic regression, text mining, natural language processing, and search algorithms
- You have extensive experience analyzing and organizing both structured and unstructured data
- You are proficient in Spark/Hadoop or a similar distributed computation platform/library
- You can clearly and fluently translate your technical findings to a non-technical team
- You have excellent attention to detail
- You might have experience with some of the following (which is a plus in our books): Elasticsearch, machine teaching (e.g., Prodigy), or big data cloud tools (e.g., AWS, GCP).
Regardless of how well you feel you fit this description, we encourage you to apply if you love to collaborate with a series of diverse teams and unique perspectives to build a product that our customers can’t live without.
THE BIG PICTURE
Juristat is a fast-growing SaaS provider assisting law firms and companies at all stages of the patent prosecution process. Our statistical modeling capabilities enable our customers to visually plot their chance of success in every aspect of the patent application process. Since 2012, we’ve been creating and building tools we believe will revolutionize patent prosecution systems around the world.
WHY WE BUILD: The goal is to remove as much of the guesswork as possible from the patent application process. We want our tools to provide patent attorneys with a greater ability to assist inventors in protecting their intellectual property, and help inventors find attorneys who are uniquely qualified for their specific needs.
WHO WE ARE: To keep building these tools, we’ve cultivated a team of world-class individuals who are obsessed about the iterative improvement of themselves, our product, and our processes. As an organization, we thrive in small teams that allow us to be fast and flexible and avoid the bureaucracy that slows growth. We are driven by opportunity and our passion to build together.
HOW WE OPERATE: We also know that each of us enjoys working in a safe, welcoming, and inclusive environment. All of our teammates agree to follow a code of conduct. Additionally, we show our employees that we value them by providing:
- Competitive salary
- Healthcare, dental, and vision coverage
- Retirement plan with 3% company match
- Unlimited personal leave policy
- Fun and flexible office environment
Juristat is an equal opportunity employer. We're excited to work with people no matter their race, color, creed, religion, veteran status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, pregnancy status, or mental or physical disability.