The System Safety Engineer will support aircraft development through certification and into service, by generating and reviewing system safety assessments and analyses and interfacing with other departments. The System Safety Engineer will report functionally to the Senior System Safety Engineer. The most important traits at Joby are attitude towards the project, hard work ethic, and being able to self-manage and learn new skills. Forward thinking will be highly regarded as well.
- Generating and reviewing safety assessments and analyses at the aircraft, system, and equipment levels:
- System-Theoretic Process Analysis (STPA)
- Functional Hazard Assessment (FHA)
- Preliminary System Safety Assessment (PSSA)
- System Safety Assessment (SSA)
- Fault Tree Analysis (FTA)
- Particular Risk Analysis (PRA)
- Common Mode Analysis (CMA)
- Zonal Safety Assessments (ZSA)
- Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA)
- Generating and managing safety-derived requirements through the development life cycle.
- Developing and maintaining a safety event database to be used in safety analyses and operational service.
- Identifying safety-derived maintenance requirements and reviewing Instructions for Continued Airworthiness to ensure safety compliance into service.
- Generating and reviewing Master Minimum Equipment List to ensure safety compliance into service.
- Bachelors or higher degree in Engineering discipline - Electrical, Mechanical, or Aerospace preferred.
- Able to read and review technical schematics and engineering drawings and specifications.
- Proficient in English.
- Microsoft Office and Google Docs.
- 3-5 years of relevant industry experience.
- FAA certification experience, specifically certifying complex, integrated aircraft systems.
- Experience using STPA methods on complex systems.
- Experience with 2X.1309 analyses and guidance material – such as Advisory Circular 23.1309-1E, SAE ARP 4761, and SAE ARP 4754A
- A basic understanding of aviation software development and system communication protocols.
- A basic understanding of RTCA/DO-178 and RTCA/DO-254.
- Familiar with Dassault Systemes engineering and management tools.
- Private pilot certificate.