Joby Aviation is seeking a highly organized, passionate individual to join our Integration and Sub-System Testing Team. As part of this team you will design hardware to assemble, install, and perform validation and verification testing of flight critical components and sub-systems for VTOL electric aircraft. Work may include detailed CAD design of parts and subassemblies, hands-on prototyping and integration of components into designs, on the fly modifications of systems to match modifications on the flight hardware, etc.
The Joby Aviation team is made up from extremely talented, hardworking, proactive and hands on individuals. We operate in a very fast paced, demanding, and rewarding environment with very high expectations for individual contribution. We are looking to expand this team with people who are truly excited by our goal of saving a billion people an hour a day by revolutionizing the transportation industry.
- Create, and mentor others in the design of hardware to assemble, install, and perform validation and verification testing of flight critical components and sub-systems. This will require working closely with the Airframe and Actuators, Propulsion and Avionics, and Software teams, to capture the nuances of the components, sub-system architectures, and operating conditions, that define the design requirements for these projects.
- Develop full designs, drawing packages, BOMs, and assembly instructions for the above projects. Additionally procure hardware from suppliers, and coordinate manufacturing with internal shops.
- Lead integration of designs and ensure that the systems meet the design requirements set out from the beginning. This may involve on-the-fly modifications of designs to keep up with modifications to the hardware to be assembled, installed, or tested.
- Manage the project status and timelines for the Integration and Testing Design Team and collaborate with Team Lead to ensure proper resource allocation to de-risk the critical paths.
- Create and implement tools to maximize Design Team productivity.
- Manage the hardware needs of the Design Team and provide recommendations for investment.
- M.S. in Mechanical Engineering or a relevant discipline
- Strong engineering knowledge and instincts
- Excellent problem solving
- Strong communication and social skills. The ability to work with many different people and manage working relationships
- Hands-on attitude
- Proficiency in Computer Aided Design, and engineering drawing creation
- Experience in mechanical design and fabrication of heavily loaded components and structures, as well as high-precision components.
- Experience with design and fabrication of weldments, hydraulic systems, and pneumatic systems.
- Hands on machine shop skills using lathe, mill, welder, and other machine shop equipment
- Experience with project execution from initial concept development through to final commissioning of system
- Ph.D in relevant discipline
- 5+ years of work experience in relevant industry
- Experience with Dassault Systemes CAD, specifically using Generative Shape Design, Part Design and Assembly Design
- Project management experience
- Experience designing aerospace test equipment
- Experience with design of automated hardware, including sensor selection and implementation
- Experience with PLC programming and controller development for industrial equipment
- Experience with hardware in the loop testing
- Experience designing aircraft flight hardware and/or ground support equipment
- Experience with High Voltage systems
- Aircraft homebuilding or rapid prototyping experience is a plus
- Experience with aircraft FAA certification processes