Located in the redwoods near Santa Cruz, California, the Joby Aviation team has been steadily working toward our goal of providing safe, short-hop, fully electric air transportation that is accessible to everyone. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the congestion below, giving you back that time you’d otherwise spend sitting in traffic. Technology has advanced to the point where designing and operating an all-electric aircraft is completely viable. Our team has been discreetly designing and flight testing this vehicle and is looking for talented engineers to see it through certification and high rate production.
Joby Aviation is seeking an experienced mass reduction/optimization specialist to join our growing stress and analysis team. This role is a key position within the team as the company seeks to achieve further weight reduction on airframe structures. The applicant will be tasked with strategically evaluating each sub-component of the structure and suggest mass reduction strategies. Strategies can range from numerically optimizing composing ply stacks to adjusting structural layouts to adopting different substantiation strategies or reducing loads. This position constitutes a unique opportunity for the candidate to collaborate closely with various teams within the company, from design to loads to certification. Candidates are expected to have hands-on experience with composite design and analysis as well as a strong understanding of state of the art optimization practices.
- Revisit existing designs under the lenses of weight minimization
- Understand design constraints from various stakeholders (manufacturing, integration, design, certification, etc.)
- Propose innovative mass reduction strategies through components re-design, ply stack optimization, loads refinement and/or material changes
- Perform numerical trade and optimization studies to achieve mass reductions
- Propose and orchestrate experimental studies to substantiate less conservative analysis techniques
- Collaborate with design teams to implement mass saving strategies early in the process
- B.S. in mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, or another relevant discipline
- 3+ years of experience designing and analyzing high-performance composite structures
- Excellent fundamental understanding of composite laminate theory and failure modes for various types of panels (monolithic, stiffened) and joints (bonded, fastened)
- Deep familiarity with FEA (Abaqus, Nastran, etc.) and composite optimization software (Hypersizer, Hyperworks, etc.)
- Creative thinking, ability to consider structures at multiple scales, understand global vs local failure modes and establish innovative design/analysis strategies
- M.S./Ph.D. in relevant discipline
- 10+ years of industry experience analyzing and optimizing composite materials
- Expert applied knowledge of Hypersizer
- Familiarity with FAR 23, 25 or 27, especially for loads requirements
Please include a cover letter with your application.