Located in the redwoods near Santa Cruz, California, the Joby Aviation team has been steadily working toward our goal of providing safe, short-hop, fully electric air transportation that is accessible to everyone. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the congestion below, giving you back that time you’d otherwise spend sitting in traffic. Technology has advanced to the point where designing and operating an all-electric aircraft is completely viable. Our team has been discreetly designing and flight testing this vehicle and is looking for talented engineers to see it through launch.
We are seeking a motivated individual to join our mechanical engineering team. This individual will be responsible for the design and integration of flight critical mechanical actuators, sensors (optical/RF/Radar), avionics, and other complex kinematic systems. This role will often involve design work starting at the conceptual level, mature into full 3D modeling, check with FEA analysis and hand calculations, and continue into manufacturing. A strong knowledge of material selection, coatings, bearings, input devices, seals, mechanical hardware, GD&T, and drafting standards are required. Hands-on experience, a ‘get it done’ attitude, and the ability to work well with a cross-functional team towards the development of these new systems is very important. This position is rewarding, as the engineer will promptly see their ideas grow from concept to creation due to the fast pace of Joby Aviation.
- Initial layout, sizing, and optimization of systems
- Design of complex, flight critical electromechanical assemblies
- Integration of precision sensor components into airframe
- Creation and maintenance of technical drawings and bill of materials
- Work with technicians to support manufacturing and integration
- B.S. in mechanical engineering or another relevant discipline
- Strong volumetric awareness and eye for detail
- Ability to design complex systems to strict aerospace standards
- Proficiency in mechanical design, materials selection, troubleshooting, and analysis
- Excellent teamwork and communication skills
- Proficiency with CAD
- M.S in relevant discipline
- 3+ years of working experience in relevant industry
- Certification experience to FAR Part 23/25/27/29
- Experience designing precision rotating electromechanical systems
- Experience with Dassault Systemes CATIA Part Design and Assembly Design
- Experience with optics and optical systems
Please include a cover letter with your application.