Joby Aviation is seeking a highly organized, passionate individual to join our Integration and Sub-System Testing Team. As part of this team you will perform validation and verification testing of flight critical components and sub-systems for VTOL electric aircraft. The data collected during these tests will inform the company’s hardware design efforts and pave the way to production ready hardware.
The Joby Aviation team is made up from extremely talented, hardworking, proactive and hands on individuals. We operate in a very fast paced, demanding, and rewarding environment with very high expectations for individual contribution. We are looking to expand this team with people who are truly excited by our goal of saving a billion people an hour a day by revolutionizing the transportation industry.
- Create, and mentor others in the creation of test setups for validation and verification of aircraft hardware by working closely with the Airframe and Actuators, Propulsion and Avionics, and Software teams, to capture the nuances of the components, sub-system architectures, and operating conditions, and turning them into representative tests.
- Develop formal test plans, test procedures, instrumentation plans, test stand/fixture designs, data acquisition architectures, and any other necessary tools to allow for thorough and repeatable testing of specimens as discussed.
- Analyze data collected during the aforementioned tests to generate reports that will provide quantifiable feedback to the engineering teams allowing for hardware optimization.
- Manage the project status and timelines for the Testing Team and collaborate with Team Lead to ensure proper resource allocation to de-risk the critical paths.
- Create and implement tools to maximize Testing Team productivity.
- Manage the hardware needs of the Testing Team and provide recommendations for investment.
- M.S. in Mechanical Engineering or a relevant discipline
- Excellent problem solving and communication skills
- Strong analytical background
- Strong communication and social skills. The ability to work with many different people and manage working relationships
- Hands-on attitude
- Experience performing verification and validation testing of mechanical and electro-mechanical systems
- Experience with data acquisition techniques using foil strain gauges, accelerometers, load cells, thermistors, etc. (including sensor installation)
- Fluent in using LabView for data collection and Diadem/MATLAB for data processing.
- Experience with mechanical design and manufacturing drawing creation.
- Proficiency in Computer Aided Design
- Ph.D in relevant discipline
- 5+ years of work experience in relevant industry
- Project management experience
- Experience with industrial test laboratory environments and procedures
- Experience testing aircraft composite structures
- Experience using fiber optic strain gauges
- Experience with High Voltage systems
- Experience with Dassault Systemes CAD, specifically using Generative Shape Design, Part Design and Assembly Design
- Hands on machine shop skills using lathe, mill, welder, and other machine shop equipment
- Aircraft homebuilding or rapid prototyping experience is a plus
- Experience with aircraft FAA certification processes