Joby Aviation is seeking talented software/embedded firmware engineer to join our powertrain team. This engineer will work closely with hardware designers and system architects to develop, test and improve system-level behaviors, with a focus on fault response and mitigation, for mission-critical components—including battery, inverters, power distribution and avionics.
- Collaborate with electrical engineers to identify sources and mitigations for hardware level failures
- Implement high-level control algorithms
- Create models and simulations to test responses to faults and abnormal behaviors
- Write requirements, participate in DFMEAs, and create and execute test and validation plans
- Extensive experience with complex network-based systems
- Expert knowledge of object-oriented programming methodology and multi-layered system architectures
- Strong understanding of hardware from an embedded software engineer's perspective
- Great communication skills
- B.S. in electrical engineering, computer science, computer engineering, mechatronics, or similar field; or, a very strong portfolio of designed and implemented embedded software
- M.S./Ph.D. in relevant discipline
- 2+ years of working experience in relevant industry, whether aerospace, ground vehicles, drones, etc.
- Experience working on safety-critical systems or software
- Exposure to regulatory certification
- Knowledge of and experience with real-time operating systems
- Knowledge of and experience with communication protocols including I2C, CAN, SPI, UART, etc.
- Experience with DFMEA/ Failure Analysis / Fault Trees
- Strong understanding of modern micro-controller and microprocessor architectures such as ARM Cortex
- Experience with modern integrated development environments and debuggers
- Experience with distributed version control systems (GIT) and collaborative software projects
- Hands-on experience with test and measurement equipment such as oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, protocol analyzers, voltmeters, etc.