Joby Aviation is currently fully staffed for this position. However, as the company expands we will recruit further test team members. Further recruiting is unlikely before late 2019. Should you wish to be considered for future hiring rounds, please submit your application and we will retain your resume on file, and get back to you as our needs arise.
Joby Aviation is seeking a passionate and driven flight test engineer to join our flight test development team. This role requires a wide range of knowledge and skill that includes developing detailed flight test plans for experimental CTOL/VTOL fly-by-wire aircraft, flight test simulator development, and supporting all certification flight test related activities. A can-do attitude is a must for this fast-paced environment in which every team member relies on each other to perform to their highest potential. Previous experience and/or training as flight test engineer is essential.
- Develop a test program to strategically expand the envelope and capabilities of our vehicles from experimental development through certification flight test
- Perform flight test planning, flight readiness reviews, flight debriefs and post flight analysis
- Work with our simulation team to expand our flight simulator capability and fidelity
- Complete all required documentation in accordance with established company and FAA procedures
- May perform launch and recovery tasks of aircraft which include ground operations, preflight items, ground observer responsibilities, and post flight items
- May help develop flight manuals and supporting documentation necessary to operate the vehicles
- Responsible for observing all laws, regulations and other applicable obligations wherever and whenever business is conducted on behalf of the Company
- Expected to work in a safe manner in accordance with established operating procedures and practices
- Other duties as assigned or required
- FTE graduate of a recognized test pilot school, or equivalent on the job learning experience.
- A minimum of 3 years additional experimental flight test experience as a Flight Test Engineer, preferably including VTOL flight test
- Bachelors of Science degree or equivalent experience and training
- Basic computer and interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with employees
- Must be able to work both independently and on a team and be able to work extended hours and travel as required
- Read and speak English proficiently
- Fixed Wing and / or Rotorcraft Commercial Certificate
- FAA Airframe & Powerplant (A&P) certificate