Joby Aviation is seeking an experienced mass properties engineer to join our dynamic and quickly growing team. This is a lead role that will require direct participation with our design team in the aircraft development process, specifically in the establishment, tracking, and enforcement of design target weights. This individual will also be responsible for the creation and maintenance of the company’s mass properties management and control system.
- Experience with allocation, estimation, and management of mass properties requirements, margins, and weight growth allowances throughout the entire aircraft lifecycle
- Ability to develop and implement a mass properties management and control program
- Generation of aircraft distributed mass profiles and verification that the mass properties model is an accurate representation of the air vehicle (center of gravity and moments of inertia)
- Perform weight and balance testing to measure center of gravity and moment of inertia
- Ability to develop system requirements, flowdown, and validation of the hardware to ensure the mass design criteria have been met
- Experience keeping weight and balance models current within complex CATIA assemblies for the purpose of accurate weight data reporting
- B.S. in mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, or other relevant discipline
- 3+ years of experience with mass properties and weight control in aerospace or equivalent
- Experience identifying and resolving mass property threats and opportunities
- Ability to create and maintain a Microsoft Access database
- Familiarity with SAWE RP A-7, RP 7, and RP 8, or predecessors
- Experience using the weight estimation capabilities within CATIA
- Hold an Aircraft Weight and Balance Certification
- Experience with the Automated Weight and Balance System (AWBS) system
Please include a cover letter with your application.