Joby Aviation is seeking a passionate thermal engineer to join our growing team. The position requires a strong understanding of refrigeration and heat pump theory. The applicant is expected to have hands-on experience designing, analyzing, and testing two-phase thermal systems. Familiarity with internal flow CFD is also desired. This position is rewarding, as the engineer will promptly see their work implemented on real-world applications due to the fast pace of Joby Aviation.
- Scope and design cooling strategies for cabin air conditioning and refrigeration cycle.
- Leverage low-fidelity methods (1D analysis) to perform quick sizing of thermal components for use in two phase fluid cycles.
- Prototype and test conceptual designs of refrigeration cycles.
- Interface with team members and external suppliers to understand requirements and constraints of HVAC systems.
- Develop Matlab/Simulink thermal model of propulsion cooling system.
- Deliver performance assessments and sensitivities of cooling system.
- Generate test procedures, create prototypes, and perform experimental validation.
- Produce supporting documentation for FAA aircraft certification.
- BSc. in relevant engineering discipline.
- 3 years experience (including MS).
- Expert knowledge of thermodynamic theory, specifically real two-phase working fluids.
- Strong mathematical background.
- Excellent problem solving and communication skills.
- Automotive or Aeronautical Industry experience in designing 2 phase cycles and heat pumps.
- MEng/PhD in fields of HVAC, vapour compression cycle, two phase systems.
- 2+ years hands-on experience performing detailed refrigeration/heat pump design and testing for aircraft or automotive.
- 5+ years of working experience in relevant industry (including MS).
- Expert knowledge of Simulink/Simscape.
- Critical eye for customer thermal comfort in real life scenarios.
- Hands-on experience working within aircraft certification programs.
- Strong knowledge of FAR 23 and 27.
- Experience optimizing heat exchangers in a mass-constrained environment.
- Proficiency with CAD (CATIA), CFD (STAR-CCM+), and FEA (Abaqus) software.