The position requires a solid mathematical background, a detailed conceptual understanding of aircraft dynamics, and strong attention to detail. The applicant is expected to have experience with static and dynamic loads derivation for aircraft. Background in flutter analysis is also desired. This position is rewarding, as the engineer will promptly see their work drive key design decisions due to the fast pace of Joby Aviation.
- Summarize FAR loads requirements into user-friendly interface.
- Develop and/or interpret aerodynamic and ground loads based on CFD data and dynamic analysis.
- Implement loads database to be used by the structural design team.
- Create loads environment map across the entire aircraft.
- Leverage parameter exploration techniques to efficiently map the parameter space and create a loads and vibrations response surfaces.
- Down-select to obtain critical load cases across the parameter space.
- Validate loads via experimental data correlation.
- B.S. in mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, or a relevant discipline.
- Excellent problem solving and communication skills.
- Solid understanding of aircraft aerodynamics and rigid body dynamics.
- Good knowledge of FAR 23 or 25.
- 2+ years' experience performing detailed loads analysis for fixed-wing aircraft or rotorcraft.
- Comfortable with analysis tools such as MATLAB and Excel.
- 5+ years of working experience in relevant industry.
- Hands on experience working within aircraft certification program.
- Expert knowledge of FAR 23 and 27.
- Comprehensive understanding of flutter analysis.
- Experience performing loads extraction via dynamic sub-structuring or similar approaches.
- Advanced proficiency of MATLAB and Excel (VBA).
- Familiarity with CAD (CATIA) and PLM (Enovia) software.
Please include a cover letter with your application.