Joby Aviation is seeking a highly organized, passionate individual to join our integration and subsystem testing team. As part of this team, you will perform structural, environmental, and functional tests of flight critical components and subsystems for VTOL electric aircraft. The data collected during these tests will inform the company’s hardware design efforts and pave the way to production ready hardware. The Joby Aviation team is made up of extremely talented, hardworking, proactive, and hands-on individuals, operating in a very fast-paced and rewarding environment. We are looking to expand this team with like-minded individuals looking to make a mark in the transportation industry.
- Create structural, environmental, and functional test setups for aircraft hardware by working closely with the mechanical, electrical, energy systems, and software teams, to capture the nuances of aircraft components, subsystem architectures, and operating conditions, and turn them into representative tests that will allow for validation of component and system designs
- Develop formal test procedures, instrumentation guidelines, test fixture designs, LabView VIs and any other necessary tools to allow for repeatable testing of specimens as discussed.
- Perform structural, environmental, and functional tests on specific hardware to validate its design and manufacturing against established benchmarks.
- Analyze data collected during the aforementioned tests to generate reports to provide quantifiable feedback to the engineering teams that will allow them to optimize their designs.
- B.S. in mechanical engineering or another relevant discipline
- Excellent problem solving and communication skills
- Strong analytical background
- Experience with data acquisition techniques using foil strain gauges, accelerometers, load cells, thermistors, etc. (including sensor installation)
- Fluent in using LabView for data collection and Diadem/MATLAB for data processing.
- Experience with mechanical design and manufacturing drawing creation.
- Proficiency with CAD
- M.S./Ph.D. in relevant discipline
- 2+ years of work experience in relevant industry
- Experience with industrial test laboratory environments and procedures
- Experience with Dassault Systemes CAD, specifically using Generative Shape Design, Part Design, and Assembly Design
- Hands-on machine shop skills using lathe, mill, welder, and other machine shop equipment
- Experience with high voltage electronics
- Aircraft homebuilding or rapid prototyping experience is a plus
Please include a cover letter with your application.